Using FileZilla with Dreamhost

I would like to build my website using the WordPress installer, and it seems that I should first have a FTP connected to my site.

I attempted to navigate the Dreamhost FTP (net2ftp), and was able to enter the username, server name, and password, and was then taken to what I guess was my file uploading page. But I found the site extremely non-user friendly for a beginner. The Help Page was ridiculously unhelpful. It was practically written in Latin for all I understood it.

So I turned to the program FileZilla, which was supposed to be very easy to use. However, after downloading the program, I was not asked for the username, password, and servername that were provided to me by DreamHost. Instead, I was asked for a server address, a port number (which was automatically typed in as ‘14147’) and an administrative password.

Do you have any idea how I can use this FTP program with Dreamhost-ed site built by Wordpress?

Also, I noticed that when I press the FTP navigation button under my domain in my Manage Domains page, the page cannot be found.

So…what’s going on here? Thanks for the help.

~Chidelia

I’m a total beginner so please respond in detail and in layman’s terms

In filezilla there are two way to connect. 1)site manager 2)quickconnect.
The quickconnect you just type in the info right in the tool bar.
It needs your URL, your username, your password and a port number. Generally the port number is 21. Thats the default ftp port number.
The rest of the information you should have received in an email from Dreamhost.

The Site manager allows you to name the connection for example if you have multiple URL’s. Most of the other information is the same. Here you can change the FTP Type for a Secure FTP connection if you choose. Once this information is typed in, the next time you want to log in, just click on the R button.

The first time you log in, you will see a bunch of folders including one that matches your URL. This folder that matches the URL, is the folder where you place all your web content.
Your computer will be in the left window and the server will be on the right. Once you navigate to the correct folders on both systems, its just a matter of drag and drop.
Hope this helps,
Silk

My website

Thanks Silk. I actually realized that I’d downloaded only the ‘server’, and the not the ‘client.’ I went back and installed the client and now it’s working fine. Thanks for the tips.
~chidelia

Glad you got it working
Silk

My website