Using Dreamhost WordPress to make a network of sites

wordpress

HELP!

The instructions recommended changing the siteurl from www.onemanz.com to onemanz.com

I tried that with the site slot and it would not let me open the site.

So I returned the www. and then it worked again.

So, I removed the www. from the slot called WordPress address and it knocked me out of my WordPress control panel and will not allow me back in again!

Do I need to uninstall WordPress and start over? or is there some setting I can change via FTP or something Dreamhost can do to allow me to get back in?

Um. Hello?

Have I worn out my welcome? :slight_smile:

Since I have not heard back I will go ahead and delete WordPress again and do another install.

But it seems odd that WordPress’s instructions say to remove the www from the site url, and yet that renders the site unreachable from a web browser, at least a it does that to my Dreamhosted site.

I hope leaving the www in place will not cause issues down the line.

No, you’ve not. I don’t actually sit and watch the forums 24/7 though :slight_smile: (And I’m playing catchup since I was out for a few days).

You need to do a couple things:

1. Change both home and site URL to http://onemanz.com - if you only change one, badness happens.

2. In your Panel, edit the domain to use no-WWW as the default.

Did you do both of those?

Hi, no worries, was a joke.

I know I am being a pain with what must be elementary level stuff for most website users.

Unfortunately, I dropped the www from only the “wordpress address” so not it will not allow me to log in.

But last night, the moment I did that and hit save changes, it blew me out of the Onemanz.com dashboard and would not let me back in, putting in the name and PW would just reset to blank fields.

But today I was able to get in! Don’t know if someone on your end did anything or not.

So I have removed the www from both addresses and I can get to the site OK.

I shall now return to my regularly scheduled attempt to follow the WP Codex instructions for making a multi-site site.

Thanks again!

Sure thing!

And not to self pimp too much, but I actually wrote an ebook on Multisite :slight_smile: http://halfelf.org/ebooks/wordpress-multisite-101/ is pay what you want (so feel free to download and not pay if it’s not working for you).

Thanks!

Of course it is not working.

When I change the .htaccess file in notpad and save it, it transfers over to the server as a .txt file, even though I do File/Save As and save as All Files rather that TXT.

And the coding is set for ANSI

So it is not replacing the htaccess file, they are both in the server folder, so My Sites does not show any of the subdomains I created on the Dreamhost panel.

Unless it is caused by something else.

But now I have manged to confuse myself as to which of the htaccess files was the original and which had the new multisite language in it.

Here the complete text of both.

One of them says…

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

END WordPress

And the other one says…

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

add a trailing slash to /wp-admin

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).) $2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.
.php)$ $2 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]

END WordPress

If I ever DO get a multisite set up working, your book may very well be just what I need!

The book goes into how to setup Multisite, FWIW.

The first .htaccess is for single site installs of WP. The second is for Multisite using SubFolder sites (so your main site would be example.com and your sub sites will be example.com/sitename and so on)

It’s okay to save it as txt, but you’ll have to rename it to .htaccess - Notepad, I believe, doesn’t do that very well. What FTP application are you using?

It STILL does not work.

My FTP is FillZilla

I pasted the following into the file and saved as .txt

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

RewriteRule ^ - [L]
.php)$ $2 [L]

END WordPress

I change the name of the file from .txt to .htaccess and put it in the folder, I cannot reach my dash board, I get an Internal Server error.

When I put the .txt version back I can get to my dashboard, but do not see subsites.

When I put the .txt file into the folder and THEN change it to .htaccess it makes the name .htaccess.htaccess. That allows the Dashboard to open, but does not show subsites.

When I change the name to just .htaccess I get the Internal Server error again and cannot get to my dashboard.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
[hr]
I tried it again, removing the last line at the end (I do not think that was in the text I was to paste, it was there with the original htaccess file text.

I can open the dashboard, I see no subsites.

Is there something I need to do to the subsites other than create subdirectories in the Dreamhost dashboard?

I saw some old WP forum thread from some years back that claimed the Dreamhost quick install had lines in the wp-config file that interferred with seeing subsites, could that be the problem?

No longer the case. We fixed our 1-click a year ago (before I even started here).

The issue is you don’t have the OPENING if statement :slight_smile:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin

RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

I put that in for you and it’s working nicely :wink:

Oh cruel teasing fate.

The contents of that file, which now shows up as an htaccess file in the folder, says the following.

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

RewriteRule ^ - [L]
.php)$ $2 [L]

END WordPress

I logged out of WP dashboard and back in.

And I still do not see any subsites. Sigh.

see screen cap

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5294/omzdash1.jpg

Did you ADD any?

Go to Network Admin ( onemanz.com/wp-admin/network/sites.php )

Also keep in mind that list is only the sites your account is a member of.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3240/dohxh.jpg

Thanks for all the help. It appears to be working now. The WP instructions made it sound like you edit the access file and you will see all your sites appear.

I had made the subs in dreamhost but I did need to add them.

Later today I will get on with the actual set up of each site.

Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here.

Thanks again for all the help!

Alas, it still does not work.

In my Dashboard I have all my sites.

All of the sites are checked off as Public.

My user one man, is the only user and admin for all the sites.

I can go in and select an active network theme, I can make test posts in the Dashboard for a particular site. They show up in the Dashboard as a recent post.

But none of my subsites appear on the web.

When I choose visit the site I just get the generic index page.

Only my main site appears on the web.

In your book you talk about going in and adding lines to Apachie for subsites etc.

I do not know what Apachie is other than something that is related to the database. But I do not know where to find it or enter and edit it.

I had some questions about best practices in the sub-sites, as well as the best way to copy content from my old guitar website to my new sub-site. But they will wait.

Right now, none of my sub-sites are on-line, only my main site.

[quote]But none of my subsites appear on the web.

When I choose visit the site I just get the generic index page.

Only my main site appears on the web.
[/quote]

The ‘generic index page’ was the clue :slight_smile:

You actually created folders for the sites. So I deleted the empty ones. The folders, just like your posts, are virtual. They don’t exist. You should be good now :slight_smile:

“Smithers, who IS this young go-getterIpstenu-DH? I like the cut of her jib.”

• C. Montgomery Burns

Thank you, yet again. And now I must burden you with those questions I mentioned.

OK, I read your book and am going to start to work on my sites. Thank you very much.

At present I will be the only user/admin so I will not need to worry about rights for others to get into the site, etc.

But I do have some pressing questions. I hope the answers are not as complicated as the questions. :slight_smile:

1. I want my home page onemanz.com to have a four column table that will show the most recent post of my four sub-sites (guitar, malt, beer, meal). I know I can do this manually by just copying and pasting the first few lines and adding an hyperlink under “Read More.”

But can I actually set this up so it automatically updates when I post on a sub-sites?

1. I will be moving all of the actual content from http://tspguitar.com/ to onemanz.com/guitar.

A. Does it make sense (is it possible) for me to try to import this stuff into my sub-site /guitar directly from tspguitar.com?

Or should I just copy and paste the text one article at a time and insert the old photos and video links etc manually? I do not mind just copying and pasting the text and making all new articles. But I thought it might be possible to bring it all over together.

B. In either case, do I have the option to get this stuff loaded without it appearing as a flood of blog posts? In other words, have it loaded in the “pages” etc.

If it is simplest just to paste the stuff in as posts one after the other , I can do that and just put a disclaimer on each like “Originally appeared on tspguitar.com March 1, 2011”

Which leads me to…

1. This question is a bit more complicated. But I need to know how to accomplish this before I start moving stuff from the other site. My guitar site will be my main test site for all other sites.

(please remember I am completely ignorant about networks, directory structure, PDF, not just WordPress ignorant.)

I would like to have a blog on the main page of each sub-site, which will include news items, newsfeed items, and then the more serious content - reviews, articles and interviews - supported with media files (heavily in the case of the guitar site.)

The reviews, articles and interviews will appear in the chronological blog, but document versions of them need to be accessible from the front page of the respective sub-site via pull-down menus. This is so old reviews are not lost in the blog as new posts appear.

Example: /guitar needs a menu bar at the top with the buttons - Reviews, Articles, Interviews, Media. This would be different than the default menu bar that leads to About, Home, etc. Or if it uses that default bar, each sub-site must have a separate menu. (The whisky and beer sites need their own menus).

A reader will drill down like this - Reviews/Guitars/Gibson/J-200, and up comes the review of the Gibson J-200. (Ideally it will be an html post, with a link at the bottom to download a pdf).

The same would go for Articles and Interviews. Media would allow people to browse all audio and video files (some hosted on Youtube, others hosted on the site).

Is this what “child pages” are for? Would “Reviews” be the menu name, and parent page, and contain links to child pages for each guitarmaker? And then have a “grandchild” page for each individual guitar review?

1. Categories.

This may be more a choice than an issue. But based on your experience, regarding the logic of setting up such sites…

Since each review/article/interview is also going to be put on the blog itself as a “post”, …

A. Any foreseeable issues with having that post be separate from the grandchild page version of the same review/article/interview? Or is there a way to have them be the same thing, so the “read more” leads to the grandchild page version?

B. Does it make sense to also have a “Category” called Reviews, and one for Article, and one for Interview?

Or should I have the Category be Gibson, Martin, Collings?

Or have the Category be Guitars, Accessories, Artist?

OR can my review of the Gibson J-200 be listed under different categories like Review, Guitar, Gibson? Or is that limited to “tags”?

Those are the things I need to know before I proceed. And I would value your input a great deal!

Thanks again

[quote=“tspnyc, post:36, topic:59513”]1. I want my home page onemanz.com to have a four column table that will show the most recent post of my four sub-sites (guitar, malt, beer, meal). I know I can do this manually by just copying and pasting the first few lines and adding an hyperlink under “Read More.”

But can I actually set this up so it automatically updates when I post on a sub-sites? [/quote]

Yes, but it’ll require some savvy theming.

If you use this plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/ - it will collect all the posts on the subsites to your main site. Then you would have your theme use either the site ID or the categories to sort them into columns.

Import :slight_smile: Way easier to port the content.

[quote]
B. In either case, do I have the option to get this stuff loaded without it appearing as a flood of blog posts? In other words, have it loaded in the “pages” etc.

If it is simplest just to paste the stuff in as posts one after the other , I can do that and just put a disclaimer on each like “Originally appeared on tspguitar.com March 1, 2011”[/quote]

If you import, it keeps the original date. AND if you wanted you could map tspguitar.com to sub-site /guitar and keep the domain while having it on multisite.

That’s a very complex question, and the answer is really ‘It depends.’

First of all, each site can have it’s own menu and theme. That’s the easy part :slight_smile:

Organizing the content on a site depends a lot on how you want it to be. Starting from this “Reviews/Guitars/Gibson/J-200” it’s actually a moment where I would say that’s too deep.

You’re on subsite/guitar already so I would actually do this:

Make a category for reviews. In that have a post named ‘Gibson-J-200’ and TAG that post with ‘gibson’ and ‘guitar’

Now the URL will become domain/guitar/reviews/gibson-j-200/

That’s a short and easy URL for people, and they can use the tags to see more guitars and so on.

Thanks again.

In reverse order:

#3 setting up pulldown menus for reviews (interviews etc) Yes, I have used tags on Youtube, but never really tried to use them in this context. Your way makes great sense. I shall try that.

The main pulldown menus will be Reviews, People, Media. And then tags for accessories, guitars, artists, luthiers, video, audio.

Follow up: I still do not understand blogs well enough.

If I want a review posted on the rolling blog to be forever available on the front page of /guitar, via a pulldown menu “Reviews”, must/can/should it be posted as a static page separate from the blogged version? Is there an issue with having a zillion static pages? Can the original blog post itself just have the first few lines and the Read More be a link to the static page with the full review?

#2 OK, importing is “way easier”. I just wanted to make sure I can import to onemanz.com/guitar, by passing the top domain. I will look into the Dreamhost instructions on importing.

I SHALL be keeping that other url for the rest of 2013, but turning it into my personal site for my own music and performances, etc. So I cannot just link to it.

Follow up: Will this important stuff come through into the current theme, or use the cosmetic html styles of the old website, or come over in some other format? Maybe I shall figure that out before you read this. :slight_smile:

#1 I will look into your suggestion here. I will be setting up the main subsites before I design and make onemanz.com. I hope to have this all done by this time next week! Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

[quote=“Ipstenu-DH, post:37, topic:59513”]

Yes, but it’ll require some savvy theming.

If you use this plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/ - it will collect all the posts on the subsites to your main site. Then you would have your theme use either the site ID or the categories to sort them into columns.

For #3, don’t mix up menus and the content YET. Start with content. Your categories are the MAIN topics. Reviews, People, Media :slight_smile: If you want to use 'em for menus, you can do that too. I would not suggest listing ALL your posts on your menu. That will make menus too long for people to want to read. They just won’t do it. Now listing a couple featured reviews (All, Martin Backpacker, Gibson Mandolin…) would work. I’m refereing to this - http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide - when I talk about menus, though.

#2 read http://codex.wordpress.org/Tools_Export_Screen and http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content

Hmm. I cannot tell yet if that is what I am talking about or not. On some of the themes have them in their demo version, on the same bar with the About button. And they say Parent Page, under which are child pages, under which are granchildpages.

And on my my previous site I had them like that. You would go to the review button, and a menu appears with Guitar, Accessories, Artists. If you click on Guitar, it took to a new page, with its own menus. See the screen cap below please.

But I should point out, I am not trying to make a WordPress blog. I am trying to use WordPress to make “websites”, that also happen to have a blog on their front page.

Many people told me WordPress was customizable and an easy way to make “webpages” that were more than just blogs. And that is my goal. I would like to create a site similar to my previous site, menu driven.

But then also have the contents found under those menus appear in the blog when they are first published. The blog will also have news items from press releases that I get from guitarmakers and guitarplayers, or in the case of the whisky and beer pages from those companies.

Here is an example of the menus I was using. This page appears when you go to the Reviews menu, and choose Acoustic Guitars.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5557/omzmenu.jpg