Using discount codes for a good cause - charity

Hello all!

I searched in the forum, but couldn’t find the answer to this. Can I use my rewards money to give it to a charity?
(check the Give to charity tab in your DreamHost panel)
Those pending rewards are less than 97 days old, so they aren’t in my Paypal yet…

I want to give all the money I earned from people that didn’t used my $97 promo code, but the other one ($90 discount), plus some extra from my wallet.

I think it’s a good way of saying thanks to those who tried to help me in the first place :slight_smile:

Can I do this? And you? Have you given?

DreamHost $97 discount - code: 97promo «« Check other codes on my site

In Rewards, uncheck the box “Yes, I want excess rewards balances to be cashed out to me each month.”

And when there is money in your account, choose “give to charity”.

Or you can cash out to paypal, and then make a donation to any association.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

Very cool thought, there! It is always great when one is able to help others, in whatever way works for them. Hopefully, moua’s post gave you what you needed to “make it happen”. Thanks for making my “Favorite Post of the Day”! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

What a brilliant (and generous) idea. :slight_smile:

As I understand it, donations to charity are added to your hosting bill and are debited from your account balance when your hosting is up for renewal. Assuming your rewards payments will mature by the time your hosting is due for renewal, you should have no problems donating them, just untick the PayPal payout checkbox in the rewards section of the panel.

I must admit I haven’t looked in the charity section of the panel in a long time. I did have a look when I first signed-up, but the charities featured at the time didn’t really appeal to me.

I will make a point of checking the available charities from now on and donating whenever I see a worthy cause.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thank you all for your great replies!

The problem is that the rewards are still pending, but I want to give it to “Santa’s Helpers” before current charities change.

So I’ve decided to just donate now, and some months from now the rewards will pay it :slight_smile:

My hosting is paid for one more year, so now, everytime anyone uses my smaller code, to help me pay for my hosting, that money will go to the charities DreamHost chooses.

I’m glad to see that other people often do this. I hope I can this regularly. Helping others, with the goodness of others, plus some help from me and DH.

Edited to say: RLParker, thank you for making me smile :slight_smile:

DreamHost $97 discount - code: 97promo «« Check other codes on my site

Donation made to Santa’s Helpers :slight_smile:
Hope I can make bigger ones in the following months.

$97 DreamHost’s discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

I think you made it onto santa’s nice list this year :slight_smile:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

Heheh :slight_smile: In this time of my life I can consider myself a lucky person (it wasn’t always like this), so I really prefer to give, than to receive. If all people helped, the world would be a little better. Utopia…

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

I have to tell you, I love Dreamhost97.com, and I really hope your “90PROMO” code gets some use! :slight_smile:

I’ve seen some creative uses of promo codes over the uears, but this one just plain ol’ Rocks!

–rlparker

Thank you :slight_smile: ! I really want to add more features, because the site is too plain, but I’ve had a lot of work (around 15 hours a day, and my eyes aren’t very good because of that).

Hope to do it soon… thank you again for the moral support, RL :slight_smile:

A warning for affiliates.

I will have to close dreamhost97.com because someone complained (another affiliate I guess) that it may be confused with the official or employee’s site. I don’t know how, because in the site it’s really clear that I’m an affiliate, so I will just stop using the domain.

But I won’t completely give up, and I will continue to raise money for Unicef in another of my old domains. I will loose search engine results for some months, but I’m hoping to get them again, soon.

So be sure that the way you are promoting DreamHost is ok in their eyes, to avoid loosing your work. In my case, months of promotion.
And I will have to change my signature here, in all my older posts, to avoid misleading anyone.

Don’t make the same “mistake” I did.

That’s unfortunate, though in all fairness I suppose it’s understandable and is something one could have anticipated. :wink:

I don’t think you will have too much trouble getting your search engine listings “back” relatively quickly, especially if you leave dreamhost97.com “live” with only a permanent redirect in place via .htaccess (hopefully there will be no objection to that).

Changing all your old .sigs on this forum is going to be another matter however; this software doesn’t have any way to “edit” things outside a certain window of time so I don’t know how you could even do that here.

I think your attitude over the whole thing is very congenial and professional, and I wish you “Good Luck” with the change. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

That really does suck.

Was the complaint strictly because of the domain you were using? I can sort of understand why DreamHost might not like the word ‘dreamhost’ in an affiliate domain, but there are many other sites out there that have the word ‘dreamhost’ within the domain name. I won’t list them here, but all the obvious examples seem to resolve to affiliate sites.

That’s the spirit, don’t let some small-minded person get you down.

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I also hope they let me leave a 301 redirect for a while…

I registered the domain in good faith. I’m an affiliate for 7 years, and most of my program managers even encourage me similar usages, so I never thought this would be wrong.
We see domains with the word dreamhost all over, but now you know it’s wrong. I didn’t knew that.
I’m here everyday, so I wasn’t hiding anything. Anyone could see it.

Each company has it’s views, and I always comply :slight_smile:

I just wanted to post this, to advise you not to do what I learned to be not ok with DH.

OK, now I get it. Looking at the front page, only an idiot or greedy jealous person could be confused (although we do have those around). However, your framing of the actual DreamHost site at:

http://www.dreamhost97.com/dreamhost-97.htm

does go too far, in my opinion.

Are you sure you can’t keep most of the site up, with some suitable changes to eliminate the confusing part?

There are some even less reputable “fake” review sites. Your front page was honest in comparison. Assuming you really do give the extra to charity as you say…

I don’t see the slightest confusion in your sig’ or basic domain, but I try not to be a greedy jealous idiot.

Thanks for the warning, and good luck!

They need more support help.
Pay me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999=$99.99 Off[/color]

wow, i did not know this. What kind of charity can we choose? Are all the charities in USA?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color].

Have a look at the Home -> Give To Charity page of the panel, the charities change ever few months.

The best part is that DreamHost will match any donations you make, more reason to be extra generous :slight_smile:

Mark

I asked if I could do any changes, but no, I’ll really have to drop the domain. I was doing this in good faith, so no problem to comply.

What I did for DreamHost was what I do to many other affiliate programs, with their knowledge, and they like it. Some of which I work with for almost 6 years, and last month one of my affiliate managers came from the US to Europe to chit chat with some affiliates, I included.

So I always was a good stand person, and as I stated I don’t need this affiliate money. I want to gather a big check to give to Unicef, because:

1º I’ll help children all around the world

2º My government accept that as an expense, and adds an extra 40%. That will help me when I have to pay taxes.
So now instead of donating through DreamHost, I’ll cash in to my Paypal account, and send a check directly to Unicef. I hope to make a video about that when time comes, and post on my new site. If my check is big enough I hope to even meet the Unicef representative in Portugal.

3º A selfish reason… I want people to be proud of my work, instead of just asking what a webmaster is, and shouldn’t I get a real work. When I say that I gathered $300 to give to a charity, in just a few weeks, they understand that this is real.

So you bet I don’t want confusions, misunderstandings.
Just want to warn all fellow webmasters to look twice at your promotion techniques, so that you don’t end in trouble like me. Just altering my signature in 100 posts here will take a while… and time is something I don’t have…
The articles around the web about dreamhost97.com, that I can’t change, is a lot worse.

Live and learn :slight_smile: I really appreciate your support. It’s really important for me. Yesterday I was feeling really bad.

3 “really” in one paragraph surely mean something :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for everything you did! It was nice of you to shut it down so nicely, and even try to work with them. Have you offered to transfer the domain to them (and beg to be the affiliate reference?)

Just a thought.

Wholly

I emailed Jeff stating that I would do anything they want. First I’ll take down the site, and then I’ll ask what to do with the domain. If it gets deleted, it will be registered by domain squatters (that may not comply so nicely), so it would be better in my hands, or DreamHost’s.

Oh, and it isn’t possible to change signatures after a while, so all my previous posts will continue to point to the other url…

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef