Using an About to Launch Template

I recently purchased an “About to Launch” template to put up on my site and start collecting e-mail addresses from visitors before launch. I don’t know if I can install this without it conflicting with my current files on the domain. Should I create a sub-domain for my main website files until it is complete, and place the “about to launch” files in the main domain files? The main thing I need to ensure is that I can keep uploading my updated main files so that I can see what is happening and test the effects of my code changes.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

• guitarjock

Wow. The responses to this thread are overwhelming!

If you upload files to the server and the server already had files of the same name in the location you are uploading to, those files would be overridden by whatever you uploaded. It may be helpful for you to think of your mysite.com directory as your live website that everybody sees. I personally would create a sub-directory such as dev.mysite.com to have a testing ground before you transfer things to your live website.

Always have local backups of your live website and databases and your development work. I have a local web server set up on my laptop so I don’t really use a dev site. I just upload whenever I finish working on something and that way I always have the most up-to-date copy stored locally. If you use windows you can get wamp. There are similar stacks available for mac and linux (mamp, lamp) that makes deploying apache, mysql and php on your home system easier.

Actually learn about authoring for the web a little. Maybe google some html basics and what not. I am constantly amazed that people actually shell out money for hosting and don’t know step 1 about doing anything.

Thanks for helping Ryo. I appreciate it.

One of the best ways to learn someting is to just do it. I am a doer. My site is live and working and I didn’t even have to go learn step 1. For the most part, authoring is pretty easy. It is mostly pretty intuitive after having computers for nearly 40 years of my life.

I was writing HTML back in the 90s before HTML 5. So far they seem pretty similar and coding a site is easy. I have just never hosted one before. Just kind of surprised at your condecending statement above.

Anyway, despite that, thank you for actually responding.