User trying to find Uploaded File

Hi,

You guys helped this newbie out a couple days ago…now I need some more help!

I have a contractor helping me build something on my site. He has a php file that he uploaded to his user account, but he says he can’t find it.

He is trying the following url:

http://mydomain.com/home/user_name/phpinfo.php

He’s not finding the file.

When I go to this site, I get a blank WordPress page, in the format of my site, that says, “Sorry we can’t find this page”. But when I log into the ftp server as him, I see the file there.

Confused.

Any help would be appreciated…

The path /home/user_name/mydomain.com/phpinfo.php would translate to http://mydomain.com/phpinfo.php if default setting were used when the domain was created via the panel.

Also be aware that ftp accounts are not interchangeable. Whatever “user” is listed in the “web hosting” column of the “manage domains” page of the panel is the user that the contractor must use to find the files for that domain.

Thanks…I think I understand what you are saying. I am hosting three different domains…all created with default settings as far as I can remember. So when I got this message after setting up his account:

[i]Your FTP user ‘user_name’ is now active!

Username: user_name
FTP Server: "yourdomainname.com"
or
server.dreamhost.com

Once you connect, you’ll be placed into your user account’s home directory ("/home/user_name/").
[/i]

I am still a little confused as to where the files he uploads are going and how he can access them. Which domain (of the three) would they be found under (if any). And if they are not associated with a particular domain…then what?

Thanks for the help…this is a situation where if someone were standing here at my desk I am sure it could be solved in two minutes.
[hr]
So…I just answered part of my own question by logging into the users home directory via a terminal. I guess it doesn’t matter if I ftp to server.dreamhost.com or mydomain.com…it still lands me in the same place.

Like I said…total newbie. Anyway…I am able to see his php file just fine. My user/contractor is not.

Thanks for any help and I will keep you posted.

once in /home/user_name/ you should see a directory named mydomain.com which is automatically generated when hosting is added to the domain in the panel. Switch into that directory named mydomain.com and upload your file phpinfo.php . Once the upload is complete you can browse to http://mydomain.com/phpinfo.php

If you name the file index.php instead, but still placed it in the same folder ( /home/user_name/mydomain.com ), it will be served by default at http://mydomain.com

Depending whether your other domains are using the same “user” determines if you will also see them in /home/user_name (if not they are a different user). There are pros and cons for hosting those under the same user, for security sake alone they are better separate, but that’s not the end of the story)

of course where “user_name” and “mydomain.com” are used above you would replace with your own user name and domain name.

Thanks…I figured this was the case. All the domains are hosted under me…that is, under my user name. But this contractor is doing work for me, so, I am a little confused how to give him the access he needs without giving him access to my whole domain. Its not clear either what good it is to give him his own user account and ftp access if it uploads to a place where none of the sites are hosted.

He is developing a a php/mysql project for me. People use oDesk and eLance to get developers all the time…maybe I will start a new thread and ask how they have assigned privileges. In the mean time…I can just move his php file over to my user directory…but that may not help him too much.

Thanks again.

Remember when I said…

[quote=“LakeRat, post:4, topic:59518”]There are pros and cons for hosting those under the same user, for security sake alone they are better separate, but that’s not the end of the story)
[/quote]

Then you said…

[quote=“tkvamme, post:5, topic:59518”]so, I am a little confused how to give him the access he needs without giving him access to my whole domain.
[/quote]

The answer is that you don’t host all 3 domains under 1 user.

Personally unless there is a reason to host 2 domains under the same user, I always set them up under separate users.

One of the problems with the nomenclature is actually the word “user” which people want to equate to a person, in this case “user” comes closer to meaning workspace than person.

Generally speaking it’s okay to give a bona fide developer access to your private domain space. You should change the password beforehand and give them those credentials in order to do the work, then change it back when they’ve completed their task. This applies to any MySQL passwords the domain uses as well.

As Lakerat has already pointed out, domains should be kept in their own userspace (user) primarily for security reasons. You can create additional users in Panel and set any domain or sub-domain to be hosted in the new userspace. The process will even copy any preexisting files over for you if you elect to do so.

Thanks for the advice…this has been helpful. I think I know what I need to do here now.