User-specific content management

apps

Hey! I’m trying to set up a sub-domain on my site that would allow clients to log in and access their user-specific content that I provide to them.

Here’s the backstory… I have a small photography business. I have Wordpress CMS running on my front end. However, I want to have a way that I can have clients go to a URL such as client.[site].com, be presented with a login screen in which they type in their credentials that I set up for them, and then they can access the photos from a simple user interface. It doesn’t have to be super fancy or anything like that.

I have already tried installing Wordpress CMS onto the sub-domain to see what I could make of it, but I’m sort of at a loss as I can’t really find any site templates or plugins that help me accomplish what I’m trying to do.

So, the question is: is there a plugin/one-click install/or anything else that I can do short of spending money I don’t really have to hire someone to build that one specific aspect of it? I’m fairly competent in Wordpress CMS, and know very little HTML. As far as modifying CSS and HTML, I’m pretty good at narrowing down an element using Inspect Element in Chrome or Firefox to find the code/location/etc and get it to where I want. But this particular task has me stumped.

If you could be of assistance, I would be forever grateful, and could even throw a free shoot towards your way should you be in the Boise area to show my gratitude for your help. Thank you, and I’m hoping someone can help me out!!!

Might be more than you need, but take a gander at OwnCloud

Also take a look at zenphoto. It’s most likely close to what you need. You can create user account with access to only certain albums. You can also add a watermark to the picture dynamically (such as “proof” and your studio name).

Zenphto is not a one click install anymore (and when it was the one click installer didn’t install it the way you will need it installed anyway). It does run great on dreamhost shared hosting, and even properly caches images that have been resized or watermarked to keep things speedy and server load low.

I love the interface on ownCloud. I have the files on all on the server, however durring the setup, I’m not quite sure if I need to create a database to keep this functioning, or what. Any simple setup instructions I can find? Their website is no help… Lol. Thank you again!

I love the interface on ownCloud. I have the files on all on the server, however durring the setup, I’m not quite sure if I need to create a database to keep this functioning, or what. Any simple setup instructions I can find? Their website is no help… Lol. Thank you again!
[hr]
Also, I have it at client.[website].com/owncloud. Will this installation be able to be moved to the root URL, or will it do it automatically once it’s installed and set up?

I’d use sqlite for the database (it was the default choice when I installed on a DH server). If you want the client to hit the owncloud installation when they type client.domain.com into the address bar I’d probably just use a redirect for now – that way if you want to use their “real” root to add in other stuff in future it’ll be available to customise further.

Here’s a problem I ran into on both installations: the menu in the top right doesn’t work and it just hangs on the building of the file table cache. I’ve done some research but can’t seem to find a resolution. Might I ask if you’ve run into any issues or how one might fix this since I don’t have root permissions on a shared hosting plan?

Every version I’ve ever installed at DreamHost went flawlessly. Is this occurring with sqlite?

I guess it was my internet connection or something. I used an FTP manager from my iPhone and was able to upload it flawlessly and it works now. Now i just gotta get the logos and colors set and I should be good to go! Exactly the interface I wanted, and easy to use. Thank you!

I take that back… I have an issue now where any user I create has full Admin access to create new users and whatnot. Is there a way to disable them from being able to do so, and perhaps even disable them from being able to ONLY download files (not upload)?

I’ve scoured the web, and I found resolutions, but I don’t get anything that they are saying… Something about LDAP (still not sure I understand what that is), but I don’t know how that plays a role into something that should be so simple as a little checkbox or something to allow certain things. I created a new group called Users, and that doesn’t even do anything different, and I see not one single option to modify the group permissions… Perhaps you could assist me with this matter? Thank you!
[hr]
NEVERMIND! Lol. I figured out part of the problem. I had stupidly set the group admin as the group itself on the test account I am using to test settings. (I feel dumb for that… Lol.)

Now I still need help with disabling upload permissions on the Client accounts, and perhaps disabling apps from view on certain groups that I create (depending what role they play with my company.)

Disabling uploading ability is counter to what OwnCloud is designed for, but I think I know what you mean.

Create a test account (let’s call it “client01”) and set it’s upload limit to 1KB.

Using your account, Share any file(s) you want the “client01” account to have access to and they will immediately see a new directory in their Files view labeled as “Shared”. This limiting means they’ll also get a msg up top that they are over quota and can not update or sync files anymore, but they will be able to download anything you’ve shared with them.

Ah, I understand. That works on that end. Now, I’ve done some looking around to change the upload limit from 7MB to a higher ammount, but I found a few things:

1. Because I am using a shared hosting plan with DreamHost, I do not have root access to edit the PHP.ini file to change the max upload size.

2. I saw a potential workaround of modifying the .htaccess file, however it seems DreamHost’s PHP.ini file overrides what that says.

3. I found a workaround of using an FTP client to just straight upload the files into the /data/USER/files location, and it auto-populates in ownCloud.

I see in your signature that you have a PHP.ini link, so I am wondering if you are familiar with any overrides or perhaps things DreamHost themselves can do to increase the upload limit? Thank you again for all your help!

That autoinstaller in my sig isn’t updated to support PHP 5.4 (which I’d suggest you use).

1. Set your owncloud domain to use PHP 5.4 FastCGI

2. Log in via shell or SFTP and create /home/[user]/.php/5.4/phprc <- note the dots in the path

3. Edit phprc and add these lines:

post_max_size = 20M
upload_max_filesize = 20M

Any SFTP clients for Mac OS X that you could recommend? Most popular one I found is called Flow. I use AptanaStudio for standard FTP management of my site, but I don’t think there is an SFTP option.
[hr]
Also… Do I put [user] as is, or do I put the FTP username?

The FTP username. If logging in via GUI SFTP you can forget about the /home/[user]/ bit :wink:

Resident WP Guru Ipstenu recommends Cyberduck for Mac.

You are a freaking rockstar! That worked!!!