[user deletion]How long does it to become effectiv

I used to have my domain on a friends dream host server. He created for me an username so I can acces it via SSH or FTP. Now I have my own Dreamhost ID. My friend deleted my previous user for me to be able to create it in my own account, but panel tells me the username is not available.

As I could not use my previous username I created a new one, then my friend told me the reason I could not create an user with my previous username could be the user deletion can take several hours to become effective, so I deleted the new user I’ve just created (may be this is my big mistake).

Now the hours have passed and I can’t create an account with my original username nor the last one, so I begin to wonder if my fried was right and user deletion takes a time to become effective and I just did not wait enough time or in the other hand, once you delete an account the username could never be taken again.

Can anyone confirm me if once an username is deleted it can be created again?

Thanks.

[quote]Now the hours have passed and I can’t create an account with my original username nor the last one, so I begin to wonder if my fried was right and user deletion takes a time to become effective and I just did not wait enough time or in the other hand, once you delete an account the username could never be taken again.

Can anyone confirm me if once an username is deleted it can be created again?[/quote]
There is nothing to guarantee that; at DreamHost they have machines in clusters and so users are spread throughout a cluster.

Generally the user doesn’t matter; think of it as a passcard, as long as it works you’re ok, it doesn’t matter if it says fluffybunny or ricosauve on it. So adding and deleting users is a bit hasty and probably pointless. The more important thing is whether or not that user gets access to the services.

So you got your own DreamHost ID now? Do you just get an ID or did you sign up for hosting services too as a new DreamHost customer? In otherwords, who is paying DreamHost - you or your friend? This makes a difference - customers can grant permission to others to access the web panel OR if someone signs up as a customer themselves Support has to get involved if the domain registration and/or hosting needs to be transfered to the new customer. As for actually user files and mail, you can ask support if they can transfer those for you but most likely you would have to transfer those yourself once the services are working.

:cool: openvein.org -//-

Thanks for you answer,Atropos7.

I read the Wiki and I know namespace for users is shared in a wide cluster. I also know the name doesn’t matter as log as you get access to the service you paid for. The problem is due to my work I already have too many shell accounts user names in too many hostings to remember so the more of them similar, the less to remember and the better for me. If I can’t get back my usernames it’s OK, I will create a new ones, but I prefer to have ones whose names are easy to remember for me.

BTW,I did sign up for hosting services as a new DreamHost customer and I paid the service.

So the question in a nutshell is: after deleting an user (and supposing nobody picks that user name after that) can I create a new user with the same username, or the username is disabled for ever?

I had a username I deleted a couple or so months ago. I was just now able to add it again.

-Scott

Thanks Scott, thats what I need to hear. I just hope I don’t have to wait several months :confused: