User confusion

Hey all, I have two questions about users.

First involves logging into the DreamHost control panel. I can do this using my usernames and their respective passwords, but I don’t have access to full admin privledges for everything. If I log in using my e-mail address and a different password, I have full functionality. However, I can’t seem to find that login username/password anywhere in the contol panel. Where is it (again, it is not identical to any of the users), and how do I change it?

The second question is a little different. I have two different users who have shell access. However, they each are able to see different files (under different domain names). I’m not really sure why this is, but is it something I can change just by altering permissions for the domains’ respective folders?

I imagine that I must have registered some of them under one user, and some under another, and so permissions defaulted to only allow read access to the generating user. Does this sound right?

I had posted this at the end of the day yesterday, so I figure I’d give it a small bump. Any help/ideas/suggestions would be really appreciated. I don’t want to go any farther with my project until I get this straightened out.

Click the small Edit Profile link at the top of the panel. The panel password can be changed under the Security tab. As far as I know, the email address under Contact Info -> Emails go to: is the one used for panel log-ins.

Yeah, I’d say that sounds right. Some of your domains were created with one user set as the FTP user / CGI-runs-as user: and others were created under the other user. When you log-in using FTP, you will only see the directories relating to the domains controlled by the user you logged in with.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Cool… and it’s possible, I imagine, to shift ‘ownership’ of a domain from one user to another? What happens if I delete a user, do that user’s domains become unaccessible?

I think this is simply a matter of editing the FTP user / CGI-runs-as user: for the relevant domain. However, I am not sure whether the domains contents get moved across to the new user, or an empty domain directory is created.

That’s an interesting question and one I don’t know the answer to. Since the domain ‘lives’ in the users home directory, any files relating to the domain may get deleted with that home directory.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )