User Access Help

Hello,

I realize this was asked before but after searching through I was not able to get a clear answer on how to do this.

Basically I have few domains on my account and only 1 user with access to those two domains. So I have /home/mainuser/site1 and /home/mainuser/site2. I am wondering if I can create another user pointing to same home path as mainuser. In other words, so another user points to /home/mainuser/site1/dir or /home/mainuser/site2/dir. I think it would have been better if directory structure was /home//. But that’s just my opinion…

I apologize if this has been asked in the past, but like I said, I was not able to find a clear answer while searching on these forums. I don’t know linux very well either so that is a problem as well. I can however access shell and do few commands.

If I understand you correctly, you can

1. create dir using mainuser first. /home/mainuser/site1/dir
  2. create new user
  3. remap /home/mainuser/site1/dir to /home/newuser/dir

Now if we visite site1/dir, DH will look for /home/newuser/dir

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

What do you want each of these users to access?

One problem I think you’ll encounter is that directories and files are owned by a particular user and it’s somewhat complicated for a novice to set things up so two users can access the same directory.

So even if you did manage to set things up the way you wanted them to be set up, you might still have to contend with the fact that the web directory for each domain has to be owned by one user or the other.

Does that make sense?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes