Useful FAQ

I hope this post will help somebody who have questions with DH. I’ve read through the post in this forum and listed some of the frequently asked questions. If your questions is not listed here, you can simply post it in this forum. Some professional persons are always willing to answer your question.

============================================

1. Can you use promo code if I want to pay using credit card?

Answer: Yes. You can now use promo-codes with all payment types, not just credit-cards. This includes (but is not restricted to) PayPal payments.

2. Is it necessary to fax the form to DH in order to activate my account?

Answer: Nobody knows how DH access the application. But most of the us are not required to fax the form. However, if DH team think there is a fraud, you may need to be required to fax the form. If you intent to pay using credit card, it is better to be prepared to fax the form.

3. Can I email the form to DH to activate my account?

Answer: No.

4. Is it really true that DH gives unlimited domains?

Answer: Yes.

5. Is it possible to point my existing domains to DH?

Answer: Yes. You must point ns1 to ns1.dreamhost.com; ns2 to ns2.dreamhost.com; ns3 to ns3.dreamhost.com

6. Should I cancel my exisiting domains and sign up a new plan in DH?

Answer: No. You do not have to cancel your existing domains. Just sign up a new plan in DH and transfer your domain to DH. After your account is actived in DH, You must point ns1 to ns1.dreamhost.com; ns2 to ns2.dreamhost.com; ns3 to ns3.dreamhost.com

However, you have another choice. You can choose to transfer the domain registration to DreamHost, after which DreamHost will become the registrar for that domain. This procedure can be done via the admin panel and will incur a cost of $9.95 per domain, but will extend the domain registration by 12 months.

7. I cancelled a plan and try to sign up a new one with the same domain name. But the system tells me that the domain name is already in the system. I can’t continue. What should I do?

Answer: No matter whether the account is approved or not, the domain name will be recorded in DH. What you can do is to sign up a new plan with a free subdomain name like youdomain.dreamhost.com. After your new account is activated, you can email the DH support team and ask them to transfer your previous domain name to the new plan.

Thanks for clarification. If you have new suggestions, please update me and I’ll update the post.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]50MONEY[/color].

Very useful :slight_smile:
It should be on DH official FAQ :wink:

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USD[/color] :cool: choose your plan

Regarding your item #2:

Actually, if you read the related threads carefully, you will see that DH Honcho Michael clearly states that most users are not required to fax the form. Granted, it may look differently from the forum posts, but remember that those posting are generally posting because they were asked to fax; most users, who were not asked to fax, have no reason to even think of it, let alone post here. :wink:

I strongly suspect that if Michael’s remarks were not accurate, and if a significant number of new users had to fax, we would see *a lot more * people posting about this, considering DH currently hosts over 360,000 domains.

–rlparker

[quote]6. Should I cancel my exisiting domains and sign up a new plan in DH?

Answer: No. You do have to cancel your existing domains. Just sign up a new plan in DH and transfer your domain to DH. After your account is actived in DH, You must point ns1 to 66.33.206.206; ns2 to 66.201.54.66; ns3 to 66.33.216.216
[/quote]
I think this answer needs a little clarification :slight_smile:

If you have a domain registered elsewhere, but wish to host it here at DreamHost, you basically have two choices.

You can choose to transfer the domain registration to DreamHost, after which DreamHost will become the registrar for that domain. This procedure can be done via the admin panel and will incur a cost of $9.95 per domain, but will extend the domain registration by 12 months.

The other option is to leave the domain registered at your current registrar and simply use your registrars configuration utility to set the name servers for the domain to…

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

After waiting a day or two for the new DNS information to propagate across the Internet, the domain will be served by DreamHost.

Also, the DreamHost wiki is a great source of information for potential customers. In particular the 116 common questions page.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

[quote]1. Can you use promo code if I want to pay using credit card?

Answer: Yes.[/quote]
I think this question/answer is a little confusing too. :slight_smile:

You can now use promo-codes with all payment types, not just credit-cards. This includes (but is not restricted to) PayPal payments.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

thanks for the clarifications. :stuck_out_tongue: please update the post if you can think of any new questions.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]50MONEY[/color].

wouldnt this FAQ be better in the wiki?

I dont see this post being useful for too long, it will quickly be pushed down the post list.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

And remember you can’t edit the first post for a long time.
The idea is very good because we are always answering the same questions over and over, because some people don’t search before creating a new thread. So I guess they wouldn’t find this thread either…

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef

[quote]In particular the 116 common questions page.

[/quote]

Now it will be 120 or so; old ones should redirect to new ones as Q/A’s are added.

They need more support help.
Pay me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999=$99.99 Off[/color]

thanks for the suggestion. I’m not familiar with wiki yet. I’ll find a way how to post in wiki later. In the meanwhile, I think what we can do is to post all the questions and answers here. I’ll update the post according to your suggestions. After we finalize the FAQ, I’ll post to wiki then.

Thanks for all of your supports. Please post your suggestions and clarifications.

Me neither. I have often been tempted to make an addition to the wiki, but I have this fear that I will mess things up. :blush:

Perhaps the questions can be added to the aforementioned 116 Common Questions page.

Mark

Ooops, I just realized a problem. I can edit the post only for few times. That means I can’t update the post with new questions and answers any more.

Yep, that is what Nuno (Affiliate7) was referring to above. Forum posts can only be edited for a relatively short period before being ‘locked’, another reason why this would be better suited to the wiki. :slight_smile:

Mark

Done. I’ve moved this to wiki. Please refer to http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Category:FAQS

I’m not sure whether I posted in the right place or not. But anyway it is visible to all. Feel free to update the info.

I don’t think anybody will udpate the FAQ section in wiki. I mean the one I posted.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color].

Hello Nathan,

You can update it with all the info that is always popping up here. You can add a small link to it from your signature.
Don’t give up!

Dreamhost $97 promo code

[color=#CC0000]97promo[/color] will give you $97 off
[color=#CC0000]90promo[/color] will give $7 to Unicef

i saw somebody posted something like this “* cough *”. and it is a hyperlink which links to another post. how to do that?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color].

Ironically, you can find out by reading the FAQs.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]