URL redirect to DH

New DH user here, so please forgive me if this is answered elsewhere… I’m under a time crunch at work.

I have a domain registered elsewhere, and am trying to use DH to host Moodle - fully hosted. What URL do I put in the redirect that will get me to the Moodle install on DH? The instructions from DH suggest going to: /moodle but, of course, when I do that I get a 404 error.

I’m listed here as being on craig.dreamhost.com, but I can’t seem to get the right combination of things to get the URL forwarding to work properly.

Or, am I overthinking this and it’s much simpler than that?

If someone could give me simple, easy to follow steps, I’d very much appreciate it. My boss thinks I’m a wizard at this, but I told him I didn’t know much about it. Still, this is now on me - and he wants this working by Thursday morning!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Ian

you didn’t mention your domain, but you are most likely waiting on DNS propagation. A new domain that takes anywhere from a fw minutes to an avg of 8-12 hours (possibly even 72hours world-wide).

You can use this tool to check the status: http://www.whatsmydns.net/

PS - it’s not a dreamhost thing you’re dealing with… DNS changes take time anywhere.

[quote=“LakeRat, post:2, topic:60024”]
you didn’t mention your domain, but you are most likely waiting on DNS propagation.[/quote]
Thanks for your response. As of this writing, the DNS has propagated worldwide, although it only really needs to be active within North America. However, when I try to access /moodle I still get a 404 error. I suspect this is because I’m not correctly forwarding the URL to the right place.

I understand.

What I’m really after is the URL forwarding address of the DH Moodle install, so that I can forward the domain to the correct place. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ian

Ian, yourdomain.com/moodle is loading for me (with a SAS Training site). Is that what it should be?

Yes!

And thanks to all who replied - it’s very much appreciated. Turns out, it was a DNS issue… I had to redirect the DNS servers on my registrar’s site to DH.

… baby steps, baby steps! :slight_smile:

Ian