URL file-access is disabled?

apps

So in the last two days I’ve installed two php scripts that have given me the same error:

Warning: file(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/.enchantra/mydir/mydomain/links.php on line 588

Anyone knows if there’s a way to ‘enable’ URL file-access?

thanks!

FP

URL file access has been disabled for security reasons. This fact has been discussed on this forum ad infinitum, as you would have discovered if you had done a basic search.

That being said, you can find more information about it here: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Allow_url_fopen

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Is everyone on this board a developer? I sure am not. I know just enough about PHP to be dangerous. I rely on my web host and other people writing scripts to help me.

This is gibberish to me and I couldn’t begin to figure it out and then apply it to the script I need to have working.

But it seems that if fopen() is that much of a threat, then wouldn’t these folks who are writing the darn things KNOW that too?

Just venting here. I’m going to email the author of the script that is now not working since I changed web hosts. Hopefully he can rewrite it for anyone else running up against this problem.

I come to these fora rarely, but when I do come here, I am seeking help. Not lectures, not berating and not a trigonometry lesson.

Yeesh.

Women and cats will do as they please; men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea. ~~ Anonymous

Visit me on the web at babygotblog.com

I’m afraid you’ll have to forgive me for being a little acerbic about this. I’ve always been told that the first rule of help forums is this:

99.9% of the time, your question has already been answered.

With that in mind, it just kills me that so few people make use of a board’s search facility. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve answered this same question about URL file access. I’m not expecting posters to know instantly about the wiki, but I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect folks to search this forum before asking a question like this.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I agree, it just seems like common sense to do a little searching before you post. We’re not asking for massive research here, just a simply search - most of the time for the subject of post in question.

anyways, people have got to be told somewhere along the lines how to behave :wink:

-Matttail