Urgent! I killed my site! HELP!

I’ve been messing with Firefox FTP and Dreamhost, and am a complete newb and a little bit internet-stupid. I had created a directory in FirefoxFTP and mySQL database that installed Wordpress into mysite.com/home. It worked perfectly, I installed a custom theme, and was working on widgets. Then I realized that if I went to my site at the simple .com address, all that shows was the Parent Directory. I didn’t want to mess with redirecting, so I tried to reinstall Wordpress into Firefox FTP in the .com directory.

Everything went to the dogs. Going to the site leads to a “Error establishing a database connection.” I tried recreating the mySQL database in Dreamhost, but it tells me that the directory I chose is not empty, and that I need to “re-install, specifying an empty (or new) directory.” I tried re-installing with a new directory, but it didn’t work. I tried emptying the directory, but Firefox FTP gave me error messages and wouldn’t allow me to empty the /home database. So now I have no idea what to do.

I’m supposed to have this site up, running, and filled with content by the weekend. I don’t know how I’m going to make it!! Can anyone help?

If it was showing the parent directory, do you have a index.html file for your homepage?

Not sure about the latter stuff though…

If the original .com/home directory still exists and still has it’s files in it you should be able to just delete everything except that folder and have it back to at least where it was previously - then worry about remapping or moving the files up a level (more about that if you can first do the above).

Make sure you can see hidden files in your FTP program as there will probably be at least one hidden file in the root .com directory (called .htaccess) that will need to be removed.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

I did, I think. I’m assuming you’re talking about something that exists on the FTP server. Again, I am internet-stupid, so maybe I don’t know.

Thanks so much for the tip! After deleting all the hidden files I was able to completely erase all the extra files and start fresh. This time I used the advanced 1-Click install, which I didn’t do last time. It worked like a charm! On to picking a new theme…

Ok fine, but just need a little bit description of "“Error establishing a database connection.” I tried recreating the mySQL database in Dreamhost, but it tells me that the directory I chose is not empty, "
would you like to elaborate.

Osvaldo890 - You should be going to https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=goodies.mysql to create a new database. Are you trying to do it via the one-click installer?