Urgent attention required!

AFTER NOT FINDING A PHONE NUMBER (WHAT A SUPRISE) ON YOUR SITE I DECIDED TO POST HERE SINCE YOUR ONLINE SUPPORT SEEMS TO BE EITHER BLIND OR RETARTED. TWO OF MY SITES WHERE SUSPENDED TICKET# 9485018. ANOTHER WEBSITE WHICH IS NOT EVEN ON DREAMHOST WAS ALSO MOVED BECAUSE THEY WERE SUPPOSEDLY ABUSING THE SERVERS! ITS BEEN MORE THEN 24HRS THAT MY SITES ARE DOWN AND I AM LOOSING MONEY…THATS NOT THE WORST CASE…I CAN’T FIND THE CONTENT FOR MY SITES…I GOT AN EMAIL SAYING THAT EVERYTHING IS NORMAL AGAIN BUT THERE IS NOTHING NOTHINGGGGGGGGG NOTHINGGGGGGGGG THERE ON BOTH OF THE DOMAIN NAMES QUESTIONED IN THAT TICKET! I HOPE THAT YOU HAVE NOT DELETED MY CONTENT! I HOPE THAT YOU HAVE A BACK UP! I HOPE THAT YOU CAN RECTIFY THIS AMIDDITLY SO I CAN TAKE MY STUFF AND MOVE THE F**K OUT OF YOUR HOSTING! I HOPE YOU REPOND TO THIS URGENTLY SINCE IT IS TAKING DAYS FOR YOUR TECH SUPPORT TO RESPONED WITH THEIR FAMOUS ONE LINERS!!!

I can see that you are obviously upset, but if you write your support emails like your forum posts, I can understand why it might take a while for support to respond. A single paragraph completely in upper-case is not the easiest thing to read. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I should point out that this is primarily a customer to customer support forum. DreamHost staff do post here on a semi-regular basis, but this is not the best place for such requests.

Mark

BTW: The word is ‘Retarded’ and using it in the context that you did may in-fact be offensive to many people.

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

thats a very lame excuse as to why they will repond late due to caps…however you are wrong i didn’t use caps. i hate to come off us some @#$ but i am extremely upset with the way dreamhost has been handling things. their service has gone from great to worst in recent months. i used to refer people to dreamhost now i wont do that because this is absurd! there have been so many issues. once with my domain name that i registered was transfered to another guy even though i paid for it. the tech responding to those calls didnt understand a single thing i was saying untill i had to act @#$ and the issue was rectified.

i am sure you keep your posture very calm when your sites are down and are not recieving no reponse what so ever…instead you get one liners that doesnt explain jack! you can do it good for you…some people cant!

whats their phone number any one got one???

i would admit that i shouldnt have used the word retarded…even though it is jusitified since my material is GONE! it is only when they make their customers feel retarded when customers use such language.

quote: your sites are up and running normaly

THERE IS NOTHING THERE! its EMPTY FOLDER!

If I were in your shoes, I would probably be angry too, but I also know from past experience that venting this anger at the support staff would do little to rectify the situation. It may in-fact make the situation worse.

Have you looked in the hidden .snapshot backup directory? It’s possible your content is still available for you to restore.

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Automated_domain_snapshots

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I don’t think the “all caps” “yelling” caused you to be ignored, but I agree with Mark in that if the general literacy and tone of your contact with Support was anything at all like your post(s) here, you are not likely to find anybody overly anxious to deal with you.

As it appears that you are not new to these kinds of “suspended” and “abuse to server” issues, none of this should be new to you. Learn to deal with it. Or don’t. I seriously doubt if anyone here really cares either way, given the way you present yourself.

Which is not particularly surprising if your account was suspended. If you really want to try to get that resolved as opposed to just venting here, you might consider that taking a deep breath, calming down, and trying to establish some communication with DH support about your issues in a professional manner is far more likely to get serious attention at DH than just ranting about like an angry child. That kind of behavior is, I’m sure, at least part of the reason DH doesn’t use a voice support telephone number; the requirement that you communicate intelligently in writing generally results in one carefully thinking through the problem and articulating their issues as clearly as possible. Though, as you have just proved, that is not always the case. :wink:

If I knew of a phone number for support (which I don’t, because they don’t have one!), I would not give it to you. I can not imagine how anyone would be well served by you having a telephone number to facilitate your “ranting”.

–rlparker

Then don’t!

–rlparker

Hello mr. dreamhost employee aka “loyal customer”

I am taking this matter to WebhostingTalk.com community where other civilized professional ranting about dreamhost have been posted by other x-customers.

If you are not from dreamhost then you can’t help, so I suggest not to reply because you are only going to make matters worst by giving me your two dollar lecture. Don’t turn this on me, my sites are now down for 72 hrs.

Why don’t you post your URL so that other customers can verify your difficulties?

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Kinda sucks not to have backed up your content, huh? That’s generally not too big a problem if you can get to the DH backups, but once you get your account suspended, and then act like an idiot about it, I can see how it might become a problem. :wink:

–rlpaker
"repeat after me…do not feed the troll…do not feed the troll…"

This guy’s site xtremeuploads.com was taken down because it was crashing the server. I did not take it down myself, but from what I can gather is was just a free upload download site that made money from ads. I would like to point out that we have been talking directly with Logoz via the support system. His most recent reply has not been answered yet, but did include a light threat “now before i seroiusly loose my cool and end up in your california office.”

I would like to start off by asking logoz, how much does an upload download site with Google ads make in day? And I would like to open the discussion on what everyone thinks is the best policy in a situation like this where one customer is crashing an entire machine? We can come up with a good policy here and propose changes to the current policy if any are needed. I apologize to logoz that someone had to take down the site; I can see how that would be frustrating. Obviously as long as legal files are being uploaded and the site can be designed to not crash the server it is fine to run it.

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject, Michael. It’s always a delicate situation when one user’s site takes down others’ sites by crashing a server. In such a circumstance, it is difficult to “do the right thing” by everyone involved.

I apologize to Logoz for sounding insensitive to his frustration, and can only say that my response was more to the nature and tone of his post than it was to his problem. I do realize that this must have been very frustrating for him.

That said, I’m not sure that DH really had a lot of choice in the matter, as you have described the situation. It was a “shared” server, and it would be a greater “wrong” to have all the other users on the server knocked off-line by one site than it would be to suspend a site causing the problem.

I’ve always felt pretty comfortable with DH’s previously described policy on this, and am wondering why Logoz site was not moved to an evaluation server in this instance. It is my understanding that is generally the process when a site consumes too much CPU/traffic for a shared server and begins to impact the servers stability. I don’t think moving a site that is “broken” (runaway script, persistent process, etc), or in violation of TOS, should be handled in that way, but I see no indication in your post of that being the case in this situation (except, of course, in that it was crashing the server which the TOS describes a being grounds for disablement).

I think it is great that you, and DH, are willing to help investigate the issue with a customer, but also can’t help but feel that the ultimate responsibility for understanding what is involved and having a site “designed to not crash the server” rests with the customer (particularly at this price point!). I think the DH TOS is very clear in this area. Isn’t it the customers’ responsibility to be knowledgeable enough about what he is doing to realize that trying to run a heavily trafficked “upload/download” site is likely to quickly become too resource intensive for use on a shared server? I suspect that, to some degree, the generous bandwidth and storage quotas DH offers exacerbates this confusion on the part of less saavy customers; they see all that bandwidth and disk space and proceed without evaluating issues of traffic and loading.

Logoz stated he had this same situation with another provider, which tells me he should have considered this possibility and is one of the reasons I was less sympathetic toward his situation than I would have been with someone experiencing this for the first time.

I’m not sure any changes to the current policy are needed, though more education on what “crashes” a server is probably indicated and some candid guidelines about what can be effectively run on a shared server might be helpful.

As I read the TOS, and as you describe the situation, I think the disabling of the site was justified and was done in accordance with the TOS. I think doing this in such a way that assured Logoz his content was not gone would have helped, as that seems to be his most significant point of contention, and I’m still wondering if there was some reason a temporary move to an evaluation server was not indicated in this case.

–rlparker

I have been working on our server stability lately so I probably have more experience than most in dealing with accounts that are problematic for shared servers. Unfortunately this particular case was not handled by me personally so I am in the process of outlining how we should be dealing with such cases (that way we can ensure that we have a uniform process that takes into consideration the needs of everyone involved).

Here are the steps I take (and the support team should be following):

-first check for any abusive behavior or a bad process and correct it if possible

That means checking access logs under each of their domains for abusive IPs or googlebot making a nuisance of itself, looking at crashlogs and the process environment for the user and looking at that status page for their apache if we can determine the domain that is at the root of things. If we cannot fix the problem in this manner the next step is to

-contact the customer and provide them with the information that they are casuing problems on their server or that their usage is rather high and request feedback, also we should provide them with some tools in case they don’t know themselves what the cause is:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Finding_Causes_of_Heavy_Usage

That article shows some of what we do already and has some useful links.

We also will provide customers with ther cp minute usage if it is relevant (and usually include the stats for the whole server so they can see their relative usage - people do need to understand that when they share a machine with hundreds of other users they cannot reasonably expect to be taking up 15% or more of the CPU or memory).

-if needed request that the customer upgrade to a Strictly Business Enhanced plan (on their own machine) and move them to an evaluation server*

*this is not always possible - if they are also crashing the evaluation server we really do have to disable them but that would be the most extreme action and should have an appropriate accounting of the steps the admin has taken to get to that point

There are also cases of specific processes or files causing issues that we have to disable - in those cases we deem it better to keep the server/apache up and kill one file or domain rather than let it crash things for everyone. In that case though the administrator or tech is responsible for again contacting the customer with details and explain why we had to take such action* and if possible provide suggestions on how to fix the issue before re-enabling the script or domain.

In the end our job is to maintain the best service for the majority of our customers, so when the decision is between degraded service for hundreds of customers or disruption of service for the source of the problem we must take action on behalf of the many. It is our hope that by providing detailed and accurate information as to the reason why we can avoid any frustration for those who do in fact have to have their service disabled by us.

*comments and trackback scripts for example are often able to take down a machine single-handedly, we can’t just let them continue to run so we take them down until the customer can properly protect them against comment spam

Thanks, Mir, for that post. It sounds to me as though you guys are going through the right steps, and it is reassuring to hear DH is working on making sure that these things are handled via an established process.

There will always be someone “unhappy” when something has to be disabled, but the kinds of steps you describe go a long way toward helping users help themselves.

Hopefully, this user can get his “content” back (it doesn’t sound like he had a backup), and proceed from there.

–rlparker

What’s been made clear for me, which should be obvious, is that a hosed server makes 100 people scream. If it’s a single user hosing that server, 100 people scream, then one of them gets booted, leaving one still screaming, and 99 happy DreamHosters. We witnessed the one screamer. It’s rare that we hear from the 99 happy ones.

-Scott

On Sep 27, Kacy wrote:

Hello,

I’m afraid that we had to disable index.php located within
siraj/Xtremeproxy.com/. I renamed index.php to oldindex.php just as a
warning since it was producing too much of a load on the server. Please
optimize the code and rename oldindex.php to index.php to restore it on
the server.

In the event that index.php continues to cause a high load on the
server. We will be forced to suspend your account.

Feel free to contact us if if there are any questions.

Thanks
Kacy

My reply to Kacy:

Hi there,

Can you please explain on what do you mean by high load, is it daily bandwidth etc? what can I do to fix it?

Please do not suspend my entire account, if you have to just disable that one specific site, but can you elaborate on what the issue was?

Thanks

No reponse till this day. However I got a dedicated server and moved the proxy site.

Now you guys took down two of my sites, and the back up folder of Xtremeproxy was also moved, if the tech did their diagnostics right he would have noticed that Xtremeproxy is not hosted with DreamHost anymore but on a private server. In which case it really pissed me off because how could I be sure that it was indeed both of my sites causing the crashing if they didn’t even properly check the proxy site. It was as if someone just highlighted and without a care moved any site they just “thought” could be making problems with out really checking the actual cause. You guys took down Xtremeuploads and Microupload, I replied:

can you please restore microupload.com - i tried but it didn’t work. just this one site and the others can be disabled. it wont overload because its a new site. i’m loosing money here!

thanks!

Xtremeuploads recently got pretty busy, but Microupload is a fairly new site with not that much traffic. BTW, I HAVEN’T GOT A REPONSE TO THIS EMAIL TILL TODAY!

Now why I made that light threat, its because when I checked the xtremeuploads folder the data was there, however in microupload it is empty. When I couldn’t find a phone number to contact you guys, I had to say that.

How much did they make…little over $30 a day. Not much for you but a lot for me.

Anyways I dont want to discuss this any more, I need my sites data back I already got a server. Just reload the data for both sites, sites don’t have to be up. I tried the back up thing but it didn’t work for me. I just need to transfer the data. I’m already moving my other sites.

Also I didn’t not have any of these issues with OTHER hosts! I’m talking about one host here and that is dream host. Before that there was a thing with a domain name i purchased which ended up in someone elses account. I have the entire history log so people can see what it took to make the tech understand that I REGISTERED the domain with dream host, it shows in my control panel, but the domain/site ended up on some elses account? It took 3 days for them to figure it out.

Anyways- just get me my data back please so I can move on.

I restored microuploads using the method suggested to you above by one of the other customers. Above posts also show that there is lots of information about how to optimize your site in our wiki.

The message you sent to kacy did not make it to support. Did you send it via the web panel? If not, what email address did you send it to? We have talked with you many times via support since that date.

Logoz, I think maybe the main thing for you to take away from this is that a free upload/download site supported by advertising is a not a very profitable business idea. You really need to learn more about optimizing a heavily trafficked site. If you are going to give away free resources (without any strategy for controlling the resources used) you really should be on your own server where you are paying for the entire server and you can only crash your own site.

Good Luck at your new host!