Uptime monitoring

I have noted in the access logs of my Keystone Websites domain that uptime is being monitored by HostTracker. This has being going on for the last 7 days, and I have no idea why - I didn’t request this, and until last week I’d never even heard of HostTracker. The HostTracker service accesses my site every 60 seconds or so, which I think is rather excessive. It reports a 100% uptime, which I suppose is welcome.

Has anyone else found that HostTracker is monitoring their sites without being requested to? You’ll soon notice if they are - they make over a thousand page requests per day (with no bytes being transferred).

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Just had a quick look at my logs here, no sign of HostTracker.

I took a look at their site, I see there is only a single contact email address, I wonder if asked to cease the logging, would they comply or ignore the request and just keep checking away.

Web Hosting Reviews | Shonky’s Blog

Actually, I sent them an email about this 4 days ago:

[quote][i]It has come to my attention that you have been monitoring my website, http://keystonewebsites.com/, with your tracker service.

I have not requested this service, and I find that your system is accessing my site almost continuously, with intervals varying from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. There have been almost 3000 page requests from your service in the last 72 hours. Please remove me from your database immediately.

I would be grateful if you would reply to this email to let me know why this happened, and whether or not you have resolved the problem.[/i][/quote]
I have received no reply, and the tracking has continued.

Simon Jessey

That is poor form on their part, if they don’t reply sooner or later I guess you have no option but to block them using .htaccess, or failing that see if Dreamhost will block them at their gateway.

I agree. It is not doing me all that much harm at the moment (apart from soiling my statistics), but it is rather annoying.

Simon Jessey

Just to let you all know, I got a reply back saying (in rather iffy English) that monitoring had ceased. No explanation was given as to why the monitoring was happening in the first place.

Simon Jessey

Good to hear, and very suprising, my money was on them ignoring your email. :slight_smile:

I’ll ignore the spam comment and give credit where credit is due. That was very funny! I’ve done that a few times for laughs, but it is always more amusing with vaguely technical matters.

Simon Jessey