Uptime for shared hosting

How good is the up time for shared hosting?
Anybody had any really long down times?

I am moving from webfusion - who seem to be down more than up.

As with any host, there have been downtimes. Let that be no secret. But now that I’ve said it, I also want to say that DH has been a better provider than any other company I’ve tried so far. DH is usually quite open about it when they goof up, so at least afterwards you understand what went wrong. Some people are not happy about support, though; it takes up to 24 hours and sometimes more to get an answer. That’s fine for me, but not for everybody. On the other hand, I think DH offers great services at great prices.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDChoose a plan!

I am on a shared server and haven’t seen a problem in over 4 months. Last night my server must have been busy as my site was just grinding along. I submitted a ticket but 20 mins later I noticed it was ok again, so withdrew the ticket. It might have been down for 5-10 minutes max.

Now with their big promotion I just hope DH has enough support resources to handle the next wave of “my sql site is down” from noobs who have been fiddling with their 1-click installs :slight_smile:

Not sure which DreamHost plan is best for you? This chart lists the plans.

How good is the uptime? THAT is a good question.

The other hosting accounts I have elsewhere which offer WebSitePulse monitoring show that they are at least 99.95% (highest being 99.99%) on a 6-month average. To be honest, I’m not sure how well DreamHost compares to these numbers.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

other people have posted third part monitoring services of their account here at dreamhost, and most had somehting like 95% up-time as I recall… but do a search and you can find the thread.

-Matttail

[quote]other people have posted third part monitoring services of their account here at dreamhost, and most had somehting like 95% up-time as I recall…

[/quote]

Thanks, but 95%?? That is totally unacceptable even for an amateur hobby site. My off-hand estimate is about 97% at the least. But then again, I don’t know, and THAT is the question.

For individual hosting clients like you and me, third party monitoring services are relatively costly (cf. DreamHost’s own hosting fees); and those free services (with 60 mins intervals) are just not good enough to tell the WHOLE truth.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

I’m quite sure it’s not 95% – that’s more than 2.5 WEEKS of downtime a year. 18.25 full days.

Personally, I’ll be getting antsy if I’m getting only 99% uptime. That’s almost 4 full days down a year. I’ve only had my Dreamhost account since August, so I don’t have stats yet (and this particular time period was probably worse than most, since they upgraded all of the servers to the next version of Debian PLUS LA lost power and the backup generators in Dreamhost’s facility failed…); I would be interested to see stats if anyone can find them.

Including the upgrade and power failure, my downtime so far has been about 12 hours, I think.

[quote]I’m not sure how well DreamHost compares to these numbers.

[/quote]

Not well enough to offer Webpulse monitoring, evidently. Nor for that matter to offer DH’s own monitoring any longer - it was withdrawn a few weeks ago.