Uploading with a Firewall?

Okay, I moved to the United Arab Emirates. Love it here.

Unfortunately, they have a major firewall for some sites. Luckily none of my sites are blocked for content that is against Muslim religion (nudity, gay, etc). While I may object to some of the sites they block (Flickr, are you kidding me?), nevertheless, I still live here now.

Now all I need to know are the firewall settings I need to type in so that I can upload files to my website.

I know there are people who upload things to websites here in the UAE, so how do they do it?

Thanks for any help.

“It’s not that life is one damn thing after another. It’s that it’s the same damn thing over and over.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay

If your domain is flat-out blocked, it may be tough, but try:

Use SFTP. Many FTP clients have this, which runs on the SSH port.

SFTP (or FTP) to the IP address of your server. You can get the IP address by logging into a UNIX account and typing ‘host www.mydomain.com

-Scott

Thanks. I’ll investigate this more, but I did try to select “log-in with secure ftp” and even with that, I could not make a connection…

Also, my domains are NOT blocked out by the firewall. But I still can’t seem to get to upload them…

“It’s not that life is one damn thing after another. It’s that it’s the same damn thing over and over.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay

Is your User account in the panel set up for SSH/SFTP access?

-Scott

I’m sorry I can’t offer any help with your question, but given your sig I just can’t resist:

“ALL I could see from where I stood
Was three long mountains and a wood;”

from “Renascence

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

Yeah I did try that.

… I know there are sites that offer hosting accounts in the UAE and Aplus does back in the states, but I hope Dreamhost has a way to upload to my websites. I like Dreamhost way better.

Give us some info about the firewall. Does it simply block att traffic to certain IP addresses?

Do you mean that your sites shouldn’t get blocked or do you mean that your sites aren’t blocked - that is, you can type their URLs into a web browser and get the content that’s currently hosted at Dreamhost.

Just to be clear, when you say “firewall settings”, it implies to me that you somehow have control over the firewall. This isn’t true, right? Do you actually mean “proxy settings” (that is, if you nee a proxy).

I’d guess that for those people who are uploading to sites that aren’t blocked, it just works. For sites that are blocked, it’s certainly the case that they’re using a proxy of some kind.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Hi thanks!

Sorry, I guess I don’t mean firewall settings? Here’s some more details:

(1) My sites are not blocked by the firewall. I type in their domain name and they work fine. Luckily.
(2) I cannot connect regularly to upload my files to these websites. They are all hosted by Dreamhost, with one exception.
(3) I use Dreamweaver, and a regular FTP program, Filezilla. Any ideas on why I can use IM, view websites, even do video-to-video chatting, but I can’t upload files to Dreamhost?
(4) If you have any idea what I should type in where to supplement my regular ftp/password/etc so that I can upload files, that would be really helpful! I am only supposing this has to do with the firewall.
(5) I tried setting my account to secure ftp and then to shell, and then selecting secure ftp, but that didn’t help.

Wow, it’s crazy weird.

Also: while I do a bunch of websites, I don’t know anything about connecting / FTPing other than using Dreamweaver or an FTP program to upload/download files.