Uploading issues

Yeah, I should know where and how to upload it but I’m having issues. In which sub directory of my site should I upload my site’s files (like phpbb2 directory, sub-sites, etc).

Yeah, I’m used to cPanel so I want to learn to work this WebFTP and whatnot.

Any help would be awesome, as I’d like to learn how to upload my site’s backup and have it all work!

Thanks again!

Generally, with subdomains the default panel settings will create a subdir of your home dir for the subdomain. So you’ll get /home/{yourusername}/subdomain.domain.org

Regarding phpbb and such, it all depends on how you want to organize your site. If phpbb is going to be on the main page of your domain or subdomain, I’ve seen most people just install it directly into the web root. I guess the second most common thing I’ve seen is people installing it into a /forum subdirectory and redirecting into it.

For example, I might have lensman.org and forums.lensman.org. Each has /home/lensman/lensman.org and /home/lensman/forums.lensman.org as the web roots, respectively. I have phpbb installed directly into /home/lensman/forums.lensman.org.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

So…if this is how my directory currently looks (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/mwaters/directory.png) where should I go to make sub-directories at? like something.midnightwaters.net, etc

Just want to clear the terminology a little.
A sub domain is the portion before the period of your domain name.
Example: http://www.subdomain.domain.com

A sub directory is a file directory just like your your computer.
Example: http://www.domain.com/subdirectory/filename

A sub directory can be created by webftp going to the folder you want your sub directory in and click the new dir button in the upper left hand part of the screen. This is only 1 way out of several to accomplish this task.

A subdomain you use your control panel, click domains then manage domains. Now click add new domain/sub domain.
Silk

My website

As I said: “Generally, with subdomains the default panel settings will create a subdir of your home dir for the subdomain. So you’ll get /home/{yourusername}/subdomain.domain.org”

So when you go to add your subdomain, most people leave the setttings at their default, which in your case means that you’d leave the web directory at the default value of /home/psyren/something.midnightwaters.net.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Btw, is there anyway to shrink the size of a .gzip file? I’d like to upload my backup of my older site to this one and it’s too big to upload.

Any ideas? It’s currently about 66MB and the limit, I believe, is around 20-25MB to upload via FTP.

And thanks, I uploaded and setup a subdomain for my site.

There is no limit on FTP uploads, well I guess technically there is, but it is much larger than 66MB.

There is an upload limit when using the web-based FTP client of around 7 MB, this limit is due to the default settings for the DreamHost install of PHP, which the web-based client is written in.

If you use a ‘real’ FTP client, you will not be subject to this limit and should be able to upload your 66MB file fine. The wiki article linked below has some suggested FTP clients.

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/FTP

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on all DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost Review)

Alright, so if for some reason I uploaded the .gzip file and it won’t let me unzip the archive on the server, where should I upload all of the files (if I am to do it individually)?

The files go to my main site, and 2 subdomains (novastrike and catch-exception)…any help would be great as I’m wanting to get my site back up and running again soon.

Well firstly, if the domain and/or sub-domains do not already appear in the list at Domains -> Manage Domains in the panel, you will need to add them to the hosting system by clicking on the Add New Domain / Sub-Domain link on that page.

Once this has been done, you should see sub-directories in your home directory corresponding to each of the (sub)domains you added. By default these sub-directories will have the same name as the domains. For example…

yourdomain.com/
sub1.yourdomain.com/
sub2.yourdomain.com/

These sub-directories are the web-directories for your domains and/or sub-domains, this is where you need to upload your site files.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on all DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost Review)