Uploading files

When I uploaded files at my previous provider, I put them in a public_html directory located in root. Now I’m not too sure where to put my files. I am running two subdomains, so I want to be able to access the same files from both.

Any help on where to put my uploaded files will be greatly appreciated.

Mark C. Miller
Indianapolis Indiana

On DreamHost, the “equivalent” of your “public_html” directory is whatever directory you indicated, when you added the domain in the web panel, in the “Specify your web directory:” field. It is in the form of “/home/username/something”, and by default (unless you change it) the something will be “yourdomain.tld”.

This is the directory into which you place your files that you wish to have accessible from the web (as you would in “public_html” on your previous host). Just like can your previous host, you can also put file in subdirectories of that directory.

You can confirm the currently used directory, or change it, for each of your domain/subdomains by going in the web panel to Domains -> Manage Domains, and clicking the “Edit” lilnk under the “Web Hosting” column for the domain or subdomain in question.

You might want to re-consider that plan, as you will likely incur considerable penalties with Google for duplicate content. Even if your purpose in doing that is “legitimate” (you want both .com and .org to produce the same content so a user doesn’t get confused if they type the wrong url, etc.), Google will see you serving duplicate content from two domains as a “SEOTard” kind of "search engine gaming.

The correct way to do this is to use a redirect to “automagically” send a user who types in “sudomain1.yourdomain.tld” to “subdomain2.yourdomain.tld”. You can do this via an .htaccess file, or from the Mange Domains section of the web panel.

If you really do want to have the same content served from two different subdomains using the same directory, there are ways to do that too, but I don’t advise it and am not particularly keen on helping you do it (there is too much of that on the web already!)

Why do you want to serve identical content from two different domains?

–rlparker

You said:

On DreamHost, the “equivalent” of your “public_html” directory is whatever directory you indicated, when you added the domain in the web panel, in the “Specify your web directory:” field. It is in the form of “/home/username/something”, and by default (unless you change it) the something will be “yourdomain.tld”.

I specified /home/username/millermc.net. When I look in that directory there is absolutely nothing. No *.tld, no hidden files, nothing. I obviously messed something up when I set up the account. Any idea of how to fix it? I looked at the “edit” option, but I can’t see anything there to work with.

tnx

mark

That seems to indicate that you have not yet uploaded nay files into that directory.

When you say you “look in that directory”, how are yo doing that? Are you using an FTP client, the shell, the webftp system?

You won’t see any “.tld” file - that was just my “shorthand” for “Top level domain” (.org, .com., .net, etc.), and by default that directory is empty when you add a domain. It sounds like you did set it up correctly, but just haven’t put any files there yet. :wink:

WHen you log in via FTP, you will be placed into “/home/yourusername/” (which will have some hidden files in it), and in that directory you should see a “millermc.net” directory (which is where you should put your files for your website).

I don’t think you need to do anything to “fix” it (no need to “edit” that directory) from the information you have given above - you just need to manipulate your FTP program to put the files into it!

If you did need to edit it, you could do so as I described in my first response (you may have to scroll down to see that field), but let’s not do that for mow - I think the way you specified it is fine. :wink:

–rlparker