Uploading files

when i upload a file to my server through the ftp, it gives it a long llocation name for instance i uploaded a small program to test it out. and i uploaded it to a folder a made in the main directory so when i want to download the file i should be able to type in www.surreallikedreams.com/app/file…but instead it gives me a long url like this:

any ideas why and how to make it so it would just be www.surreallikedreams.com/app/file

thanks in advanced

In your home directory you will find the web directory for your domain, by default this will be named the same as your domain (ie: surreallikedreams.com). Any files you upload to this directory will be accessable using a URL like…

http://surreallikedreams.com/file

If you create a sub-directory in the surreallikedreams.com directory called app and proceed to upload files to this sub-directory, you can access these files using a URL like…

http://surreallikedreams.com/app/file

Note: If you have only recently added this domain to the DreamHost hosting system, it will take a little time (up to 72 hours) for the DNS information to propagate across the Internet. During this time your domain may not be reachable.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

First and this is very important, edit your entry above to remove that URL and chnage your password now. You just gave me (and everyone on the internet to info to get into your account.

I’ll post in a sec with answers to your questions, but first get that changed NOW.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

ouch

Good spot Matttail, I had actually missed that, perhaps because the line was so long it required a fair bit of scrolling to see it all, and I run at a horizontal resolution of 1920. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

thank you

I think it is Matttail who deserves the thanks. :wink:

By the way, it would be a very good idea to change your FTP password now. In-fact, it is a good idea to change your FTP password on a regular basis anyway.

Mark

already done, and thanks matt for pointing that out