Uploading files for multiple domains

Hi folks,

I’ve recently signed up and have got multiple domains hosted with Dreamhost. I’ve got the start of a site up at my initial domain using Drupal, but how do I add a simple one page site to one of my other domains?

I’ve created a new folder with the domain name (timegate.org.uk) and uploaded to that a simple index.html file but nothing shows when trying to view the page.

Suggestions?

Did you upload to the right folder?

For example, the folder for domain.com will be root/domain.com

Some people do upload files to the root folder but not the domain.com folder

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Normally you do not need to create the domain web directory, it is done automatically for you when you add the domain to the hosting system.

It sounds like you have not added your extra domains to the hosting system, do they show up when you go to Domains -> Manage Domains in the panel?

If not, you can easily add them by going to Domains -> Manage Domains and clicking the Add new domain / sub-domain link.

Note: it will take a little while (up to 72 hours) after adding the domains before the DNS information propagates fully across the Internet.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

nathan - yep uploaded into the timegate.org.uk folder

raz - yep all 3 domains are showing up in my domain list under manage domains the DNS was changed over a week ago and are showing up as Dreamhost

In the Manage Domains section of the panel, what is shown under the Web Hosting column for the domains in question? It should be something like “Fully (username)”.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yep, it says fully

Can you double check the web directory for your domain? DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> Edit Web Hostings. The web directory should be something like /home/username/something

It looks you did not upload the files to the right folder. If the web directory name is correct. I’ll suggest you to log into FTP using the first/root FTP user (the one you created when you signed up your plan) and search your files from root folder.

Where are the files

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

What is displayed when you browse to one of these non-working domains? If you see an empty directory listing, then Nathan is probably correct and you are uploading to a directory other than the web-directory set for the domain.

If the web-directory is correct and contains your site files, but the sites are still not displaying correctly, I suggest contacting support outlining the situation, they might be able to shed some light on the issue.

Mark

I’ve checked the folder name within the DH panel and it is home/username/timegate.org.uk/, which is exactly the folder I’ve ftd’d the files up to.

When viewing the domain www.timegate.org.uk I just get an empty directory listing.

Thanks for the help folks, I’ve raised an issue with support.

Be sure to check the case of the directory name. Under Linux, Timegate.org.uk would be considered a different directory to timegate.org.uk

I find it odd that you had to manually create the web directory. Normally, this directory is created by the system when you add a domain or sub-domain.

Mark

Figured it out and got it working. The folder I’d created was within my primary domain but that is not the folder created automatically.

Can you tell I’m new to DreamHost?

OK, I think I understand what you are saying. You were placing the files in a directory that you had created within the web directory of your primary domain, not the automatically created one, up one level, in your home directory.

This is actually a fairly common error made by cPanel users coming to DreamHost, who are used to the cPanel method of having sub-domains as sub-directories within the parent domain’s web directory, instead of the DreamHost way of treating domains and sub-domains as (mostly) independent and equal.

Don’t worry, things are done a little differently here, but after a short while you’ll become comfortable with it. :slight_smile:

Good luck.

Mark

Cheers for the help. Like u guessed I’ve come from cpanel host but am getting used to things already.

Don’t suppose you’ve ever set up a drupal multisite, as that’s my next task? :wink:

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately no, but I am guessing that someone on the forum will have experience with Drupal. If you run into problems, just post another thread topic and I am sure someone will be able to help you out.

Mark

roger that