Uploading big SQL backups

I just moved to DH from possibly the worst webhost on earth. I just painstakingly uploaded our ~300mb site @ 7kbs… not a fun experience. Now I wanna upload the SQL backups. Our site consists of a forum and a PostNuke CMS - we need the SQL content we’ve developed over the last two years.

What I have backed up from the old site are two gzipped files that are between 2 and 4mb each. Inside them are text files that are each 100mb+ (nice compression!). I tried uploading both the .gz and the .txt files in phpMyAdmin to get a timeout 500 error. I figure there’s a limit on uploads, so I looked in the support area… telling me I need to use SSH shell access to do this… is this the only solution? Does anyone else have experience with this kind of thing?

Also, this page:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2931
references this command:

cat filename | mysql -uusername -ppassword -h yourMySQLHostname dbname

does ‘filename’ have to refer to a file on the server, or one on my home machine? Do I reference it to a directory (eg d:/backups/forum.txt) or what?

Thanks everyone,

Matt

I’ve just helped a user backup their large db from this host. We had to use SSH to back up.
If you can connect to your host through SSH, “cd domain.com” and then navigate your way to the backup files.
I think you can use the command

mysql -uusername -ppassword -h yourMySQLHostname dbname < backup.sql

Remember yourMySQLHostname is something like db.domain.com.

Depending on your backup sql, you might need to add
-D db_name_to_use
to the command if your sql files don’t have a USE db_name command at the start.

I’m not sure about GZipped files though. Maybe you can ungzip them somehow on your server using SSH.

I also came to DreamHost with about a year’s worth of PostNuke content.

Too much headache with the console led me to just use phpmyadmin to take care of things.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2444

My uncompressed text file was about 8MB. Using RFsplitter referenced in the KB article, it took me probably 20 minutes to get my DB here populated through phpmyadmin. Certainly not as quick if you know what you’re doing with the console; but since I didn’t, nor did I feel like learning, I just used phpmyadmin.