Upload speeds

I just recently purchased a DH shared plan, and was wondering what type of upload speeds most people were seeing? To my old webhost (lunarpages) I averaged around 70 KB/s upload - my connection is fully capable of 1.5 mbit/s upstream - and to Dreamhost, I seem to burst at 150 KB/s the first few seconds, but then my speeds slip to around 40 KB/s - is this what most people see - or is this a problem with my server?

Thanks!

Uploads, like downloads, are sensitive to protocol and latency.

I’m not sure what the TCP receive window is set to on our servers, but I’m sure it’s not optimized for high latency uploads. If we knew what it was, we could estimate throughput given latency.

At any rate, I get around 100 KB/sec (that’s kilobytes, not kilobits!) at around 100 ms latency. My uplink is capped at 5 mb at home and 100 mb from work.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

My latency is around 80 ms, by a regular ping from dos.

In SmartFTP (plain FTP) I get around 40 KB/s (I burst high, and drop low FAST)

Using SSH File Transfer, I start around 100, climb to 170 KB/s…and then start slowly dropping after 45 seconds to speeds as low as 40-45 KB/s…

Which makes it VERY hard for me to upload large files…as it becomes excruciatingly slow. If it makes any difference, I’m on the tyche server…

bump.

“bump.”

How rude. :slight_smile: I get similar. Starts at 800-1000 KB/s then drops to 40-45 KB/s in 30s-1minute. Is it dreamhost or my ISP?

Everybody can’t have their bandwidth and use it too.

tracert from comcast (cable modem) in San Jose, CA to evian.dreamhost.com shows a latency of 34ms.

Ftp upload of a 1.5 MB file runs steadily at ~294 kB/s.

Regards,
Rudy

You get a response in less than 45 minutes and you’re “bumping”? WTF?

–rlparker

Gee, thanks for adding NOTHING to the thread. Check your dates - I bumped a thread…to which no one was replying…for over 12 hrs? Most boards have the rule of only bumping every 4 hours…So please, add something to the thread, or don’t bother. :-/ (I’d assume you’d rather have me create a support ticket and pester dreamhost staff - for something which may just be on my end, by your response…)

The fact that my speed runs at 150 KB/s for a good while tells me it isn’t just bursting, nor is it my cable connection (comcast, east coast - tests to be 2.5 mbits upstream to east cost speed test servers…to the dreamhost speed test server, I got 1.5 mbit up.

You had already received a reply from Lensman. Your next post didn’t actually ask any questions. Besides, bumping is bad form.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Er, uh … you’re welcome! Though my dates don’t seem to be nearly as big a problem as your ability to read threads :wink: .

You wrote:

[quote]Jaguar4192
(DH New User )
[color=#CC0000]10/31/07 07:17 PM[/color]

Upload speeds

I just recently purchased a DH shared plan, and was wondering what type of upload speeds most people were seeing? …[/quote]
To which lensman replied:

[quote]Lensman
(DH Pooh-Bah)
[color=#CC0000]10/31/07 07:46 PM[/color]

Re: Upload speeds [re: Jaguar4192]

Uploads, like downloads, are sensitive to protocol and latency… At any rate, I get around 100 KB/sec (that’s kilobytes, not kilobits!) at around 100 ms latency. My uplink is capped at 5 mb at home and 100 mb from work.[/quote]
Hmmm … how do you get “over 12 hours” out of the time period between 10/31/07 07:17 PM and 10/31/07 07:46 PM? I’ve double-checked my arithmetic and I still see that time period coming out to be about 29 minutes. Or is lensman just “no one” in your view? I actually thought he gave you a pretty useful answer and am a little confused why you just disregard it without acknowledgment as though he hadn’t even bothered to answer.

If you take the time to read through messages on this board to get the feel of what is standard practice here, you’d see see how rarely anything is “bumped” at all - but, meh - whatever you feel is best. What I was adding to the thread was a “pointer” to the “new guy” about needless bumping (which is generally considered “rude” on all but “kiddie boardz”). Forcing your thread to the top of the “recent” queue is the classic “adding nothing to the thread” - my useless comment was no more useless than your useless bump.

I you are going to play “bumpity-bump”, at least no one here should have to read through your “bumps” - you didn’t even bother to modify the title to indicate it was a “bump”, so that it could be ignored by those who might still have nothing to contribute to your thread, but are trying to read new posts.

You can create a ticket anytime you want - DH staff is paid to put up with selfishness and rudeness - forum participants aren’t. :wink:

–rlparker

I decided to test again (despite the bump :slight_smile: j/k).

Looks like I was getting 430 KB/sec via SFTP with latencies jumping between 70 and 120. I think this is the higher than what I was getting before. Dunno if the difference is that I’m now on a PS server, though my instinct is that the PS aspect is a red herring.

How big are the files you’re uploading? I was testing with a 14 MB file.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Flame on! Flame off! dude

Right you are, and thanks for the reminder! :slight_smile:

–rlparker