Upload speed

Hi, I’m wondering if dreamhost capped the upload speed.

My friend has 10mbps upload and he’s only getting 700kbps at dreamhost.

I can not verify since i only have 512kbps(dsl) upload…

The upload velocity of an ISP/DSL provider has nothing to do with what an online service provides. It depends on the number of networks between you and the server, and of course DreamHost’s connections.
The upload velocity to DreamHost, YouTube, or even sending an attachment in webmail has nothing to do with the maximum theoric velocity of your ISP. It depends on the service you are using.

700 kbps of upload? That’s really great! I wish I had that true upload speed :slight_smile:

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

There might be some question here about which link is being tested. I too only average just over 700k/sec DOWN (which would be “up” from my host) while my upload (from my PC) is limited by my connection is 60-70k/sec.

I’m going to guess from my experience that he was asking about “outgoing” limit from his DH server, not his ability to upload to the server.

(almost no one ever complains about up when they have asymmetric connections - but EVERYONE complains about download)

Wholly

Even if we talk about download velocity, our ISP velocity is just a small part of the equation. Of course DreamHost won’t let us download at 10 mbps, because their connection don’t allow that usage for each user.

From all http servers I’ve downloaded until now, I think the maximum I got was 900/1000 k/sec even with 24 mb/sec connections, and theoretically I should get much more :stuck_out_tongue:

If we speak about uploads, things are similar. Each web server can’t allow us to use all that velocity that ISP’s announce.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile: