Upload size

I’m trying to uplaod a big file to my account (~500MB). I’ve got plenty of space. Is there a max size for uploading with an FTP client?

None that I am aware of.

There is a ~7MB limit imposed by the default PHP install that affects the web based FTP client, but no such limitation for a ‘real’ FTP client.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks for replying

I’ve been trying to upload the file, but the client gives me this:
"550 SIZE: Operation not permitted"
when it is just about done being uploaded

Does the user you are logging-in with have any disk quota restrictions?

Users -> Manage Users -> Edit

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

No, I’m the owner of the DH account, no quotas for the user name I’m using.

Are you using SmartFTP by any chance?

I did a quick Google on the error message you are seeing and apparently an issue exists between SmartFTP (and maybe other clients) and certain FTP server software regarding the FTP SIZE command.

http://www.smartftp.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t10202.html

I would suggest trying a different client, or perhaps just a later version and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Mark

I was thinking the same thing, and got the same google results, you were quicker!

I think you probably have the right idea. I’ve been involved with several threads of late where SmartFTP has failed to complete file transfers of large groups of files, even though many of them are small in size. Maybe a timing issue with SmartFTP.

At any rate, for the users in those threads, a different ftp client solved the problem.

–rlparker

Thanks for the help

I was using FireFTP, an FTP client extension for Firefox. I just tried using CuteFTP and it worked.

Thanks again!

Jason

Excellent, glad to hear that you have resolved the problem.

You’d think that FTP clients would all be pretty equal these days, given the age and maturity of the FTP protocol, but I guess not.

Mark