Upgrade roadmap


#1

I’ve been test driving DreamHost’s shared plans, and I’m very happy so far. I do have a few questions about if/when upgrades will occur for shared plans:

  1. Are there any plans to upgrade to Apache v2.4?
  2. Are there any plans to upgrade to PHP v5.4?
  3. I take it from some other forum discussions that mysqlnd is not supported because of an issue with how the MySQL servers are currently set up. What is this issue, and are there any plans to address it and support mysqlnd?

Thanks!


#2

Apache 2.4: Probably not for a while, and even then it’ll be a very slow and careful upgrade, as Apache 2.2 configuration and htaccess files are not entirely compatible with 2.4. There are definitely some features we’re looking forward to having, we just want to avoid pulling the carpet out from under anyone.

PHP 5.4: Should be available pretty soon. We’ll be using mysqlnd for PHP 5.4, so there’s your third question answered as well.


#3

What about newer versions of XCache for the later PHP builds?


#4

Can we get an update on this, possibly a more specific timeframe?

I’m going to be forced onto a new host if “pretty soon” meant 3+ months…


#5

I know we were waiting on Suhosin to be 5.4 compatible… However you can install your own PHP if you can’t wait for us: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Installing_PHP5

(What’s the massive push on your end? Is there an app you use that requires it, and if so, what? Maybe that can help us nudge engineering.)


#6

But what about the latest XCache with PHP 5.3?


#7

[quote=“Ipstenu-DH, post:5, topic:58122”]I know we were waiting on Suhosin to be 5.4 compatible… [/quote]Has it been confirmed it’s being worked on or is anywhere close to completion? Suhosin’s only had a single update in the past two and a half years, it seems strange for a large company to be dependent on a piece of software from an unreliable independent developer…

I have a project in a phase where it can either shift to 5.4 now, or else need a lot of refactoring down the line at a high time cost.


#8

I don’t have an ETA, sadly. For now, if you need it, you’ll need to do a custom PHP compile, or wait for us to upgrade Ubuntu (which seems to be the current holding pattern).