Upgrade Perl on egon?

Is there any chance of an upgrade to perl on egon soon??? The current version is now very outdated, and doesn’t contain a lot of modules that now come as standard.

Perl is now up to stable version 5.6 and egon is still on 5.05 ??

Wil -

I sent a message to our Admin Team. I’ll let you know if they reply. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Hmm, deja vu?

Actually, we’ve received requests to upgrade to perl 5.6 and we even started to try it, but it turned out to be pretty much the same situation as analog 5. We really need the new “woody” distribution of debian to come out as stable in order to safely upgrade perl on all of our systems. Again, I tried to get our admins to do it, but they for good reason won’t budge on this point. I know it’s a little sucky to be stuck on a somewhat older version, but perl is a really big and important thing, and it is a big big deal to upgrade it.

It is on our list though, and as soon as we’re able to safely do so we will be upgrading. Which will be when woody is released… someday!

josh!

Thanks Jeff, Josh.

Maybe it’s time to move on from Debian? As their pages quote:
[color=#00CC00]
As usual, no specific release goals are being set, nor will a release date be specified in advance. To put it simply, “Debian releases when it is time”.
[/color]
That does kinda suck :-\

Ah well.

Keep up the good work.

Wil

Part of the reason we’ve standardized on Debian is actually because there isn’t as much pressure to put the ‘latest and greatest’ in that particular distribution, thereby sacrificing stability and general reliability.

While it’s nice to have the best of everything, sometimes the best isn’t necessarily the option that is newest or most often updated. Debian has a pretty good track record of keeping things stable (whereas, in my experience, you really can’t count on some other distributions from being un-broken - evne out of the box).

I wouldn’t use Debian for my desktop OS, but definitely as a server OS. :>

Of course, should something better come along, we’ll consider it. But we have thousands upon thousands of customers depending on us, so we can’t make drastic changes overnight. Even our last X.X.1 upgrade caused some people pretty big headaches, so this would have to be done carefully.

(that said, at some point we’ll probably release Perl 5.6 alongside our current version for a while until we’re pretty sure nothing major breaks - you would probably just need to change your Perl path in your scripts to get that to work)

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Woody definitely works pretty well on the desktop yet (although i also wouldn’t want to run potato on my desktop). This is one of the main reasons i use freebsd instead of linux - while freebsd-stable is very stable, the packages and ports tend to be fairly current.

Perl 5.6 IIRC has some weird compatibility issues with 5.005 (although i don’t really know much about it)…

I wouldn’t hold your breath, but we will try to upgrade perl (or at least make perl 5.6 available in an alternate location) as soon as possible.

Thanks, folks. I actually run FreeBSD on my local servers, just out of interest. None of which is actually connected to the internet, though - just powers a rather large intranet with web, mail and news capabilities.

Apache 2 is also just around the corner :wink: Although, I must say, it would be very unwise to go ahead and install this on live servers straight away - this is going to be a huge step for the Apache project.

I havent heard of any issues where Perl 5.6 conflicts with earlier 5.x versions. Can you direct me to any information on this? I would be interested to read about this.

If we can’t get the latest version of Perl installed onto egon straight away, is there any chance of installing a small module?

How long has potato been around now ?

[quote]I actually run FreeBSD on my local servers, just out of interest.

[/quote]

yay! i’m the main bsd head in the office but we are starting to port dreamservers to FreeBSD; if that’s successful hopefully we’ll be able to use FreeBSD machines for some other stuff as well.

We use OpenBSD for some internal machines as well.

[quote]I havent heard of any issues where Perl 5.6 conflicts with earlier 5.x
versions. Can you direct me to any information on this? I would be
interested to read about this.

[/quote]

My guess is that I’m just dumb… I recall hearing something to this effect a long time ago, but people since then have assured me that this isn’t the case. I guess there’s only one way to find out :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Apache 2 is also just around the corner :wink:

[/quote]

That i didn’t realize. I will have to check out their site for more information on this. Since our Apache packages are built in a way that’s specific to our setup, we need to test them for a good amount of time before deploying
them on production machines.

[quote]is there any chance of installing a small module?

[/quote]

A perl module? that’s fairly likely; just let support know what you want. We’ll have to make a debian package of it (to keep all machines consistent) but it shouldn’t take two long. Alternately you could install it from source in your home dir and reference it with a ‘use lib’ statement (probably a better and easier way to do it).

[quote]How long has potato been around now ?

[/quote]

I think it’s been stable or frozen for about a year and a half or so… but don’t quote me on that. We still have one or two ‘slink’ machines around (and maybe one or two ham machines in the office). We are waiting for woody to be frozen before using it for any customer machines.

Just picked up on Slashdot that Woody will be shipping on DVD to save you from the hassle of the 6 CDs that it’s currently on!

I’ll go ahead and install a module into my own home directory, if that’s OK. The reason I was asking was just to make sure that it was OK to do so, really.

The moduel is Date::Calc. This should be in the standard perl dist. so I’m not sure why it’s not there. Is there a reason behind this? Or is just that the module comes with the latest version of perl and not versions prior to 5.6. I’ll research that.

[quote]yay! i’m the main bsd head in the office but we are starting
to port dreamservers to FreeBSD; if that’s successful
hopefully we’ll be able to use FreeBSD machines for some
other stuff as well.

[/quote]

Yayy! Fancy giving me one of those dreamserver as an early christmass present :wink:

yeah - it doesn’t seem to be on the list at: https://kbase.newdream.net/index.cgi?area=996

anyway (i assume you’ve tried using it as well and it failed)??

Since that’s a common one, you might write into support as well and ask them to package it up.

Yeah, tried and failed. Could not locate on system at all.

I’ll test it locally first, and then write to support.

Thanks for your help.