Upgrade packages

vps

I recently moved from a shared hosting DH plan to a VPS DH plan.

I’m assuming that the OS is just like the recently updated shared plans running Ubuntu 12.04.x

I know that when I use my ubuntu server at home, I periodically run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

to update packages on the system

I tried running it on my DH VPS and it showed 207 packages to upgrade. Is this something I’m supposed to be doing, or does DH keep things up to date and I shouldn’t worry with it

Also, I have a program that uses ffmpeg. I know that with Ubuntu, it has abandoned ffmpeg for libav. When I type ffmpeg in the command line I get:

[code]ffmpeg version 0.7, Copyright © 2000-2011 the Libav developers
built on Jun 21 2011 15:04:56 with gcc 4.4.5
configuration: --prefix=/usr --enable-pthreads --enable-libx264 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree
libavutil 51. 7. 0 / 51. 7. 0
libavcodec 53. 5. 0 / 53. 5. 0
libavformat 53. 2. 0 / 53. 2. 0
libavdevice 53. 0. 0 / 53. 0. 0
libavfilter 2. 4. 0 / 2. 4. 0
libswscale 2. 0. 0 / 2. 0. 0
libpostproc 52. 0. 0 / 52. 0. 0
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]… {[outfile options] outfile}…

Use -h to get full help or, even better, run ‘man ffmpeg’
[/code]

Doe this mean that ffmpeg actually just runs libav now like it does on ubuntu?

Also when I try to sudo apt-get install ffmeg I get:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: librspec-rubygem librspec-expectations-rubygem librspec-core-rubygem librspec-mocks-rubygem Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. The following extra packages will be installed: libavcodec52 libavdevice52 libavfilter0 libavformat52 libavutil49 libpostproc51 libswscale0 The following packages will be REMOVED: ffmpeg-x264 The following NEW packages will be installed: ffmpeg libavdevice52 libavfilter0 libpostproc51 The following packages will be upgraded: libavcodec52 libavformat52 libavutil49 libswscale0 4 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 206 not upgraded. Need to get 3291 kB of archives. After this operation, 37.8 MB disk space will be freed. Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n Abort.

Is this going to remove a version of ffmeg that DH has installed and replace it with something else?

Thanks

Jason

As far as I know, Ubuntu 12.04 has been rolled out for shared hosting but not on VPS’s yet.

As for your question. You are “as far as I know” responsible for upgrades the software on your own. But that may depend on applications that may be pre-installed by DH such as PHP (Apache / NGINX) and everything related to it. But in my experience, I update the apps when I feel like it or find it required/needed.

I think that the apt-get found that ffmpeg-x264 is obsolete and is going to replace it with ffmpeg. I’m not familiar with ffmpeg though. You might as well try it out, I doubt you have much to lose?