Upgrade JW Player

I’ve suggested this a couple times in the past for various reasons. This time, it’s because I’m getting complaints that people with newer mobile devices can’t listen to audio or watch video when we use the JW Player provided at media.dreamhost.com. So I’ve suggested the upgrade again and decided to post here in hopes that maybe more people will see it here and vote. I’m sure I can’t be the only one who uses it. If you care about mobile support, please go vote for the suggestion.

Thanks!

Hi Bret,

Thanks for the feedback!
I can see why this would an essential upgrade on our behalf!
I’ll forward this to our development team and see if there is anything we do about it :slight_smile:

Regards,
Justin H
DreamHost Staff

Where do I find JW Player? I do not see it under One-Click Installs.

JW Player is available for use on your website through http://media.dreamhost.com/. It is not a web application on its own — it’s just a Flash video player “widget” — so it is not listed as a One-Click Install.

Ah, found it - thanks. Of course, that just prompts additional questions. ;}

Do you know whether it was upgraded as requested?
If not, how would I vote for it?
Are there other video players provided by DH?

I’ve suggested this a couple times in the past for various reasons. This time, it’s because I’m getting complaints that people with newer mobile devices can’t listen to audio or watch video when we use the JW Playhttp://winterfabrics.blogspotdotcom

Yes… an universal solution is badly needed.

Host and stream short videos on any popular platform/OS and any popular web browser…

Any hope?

Suggestions? (YouTube and other public hosts cannot be used for business reasons…)

Upgrade constantly I guess. Browsers nowadays aggressively upgrade their versions. I think a standard might need to be set so there will be a good chance of having both compatible onto the next versions.

What’s the purpose of any video player that doesn’t work? Versions are not the problem. Basic compatibility for at least 98% of the most common platforms is. Remember the RED X problems in early www browsers? Were are not getting any better now.

Covering 97% or 98% of all popular platforms is needed to show video on a web site. What effort is required to get from 60% to 75%? to 98%? 99%? 99.5%?

Yes, there may be diminishing returns. What can be done?

Don’t want YouTube or Vimeo… Trying WISTIA now… Seems very good.

Would prefer to self-host embedded videos here on DreamHost though.
[hr]

JW Player – for Flash and HTML5 v5.4?

JW Player … With $20M, JW Player wants video publishers to look past YouTube … September 17, 2014 … Video startup JW Player has raised a fresh $20 million round of funding to grow beyond its status as one of the most used non-YouTube video players…

Founded in 2008, the New York-based startup has raised a total of $25.6 million in funding to date. The new round was led by by Greycroft Growth and Greenspring Associates, with participation from Cueball Capital and e.ventures.

JW Player Raises $20M To Help Video Publishers Look Beyond YouTube
Posted Sep 17, 2014 …

Why JW Player?

“When they put [a video] in YouTube, it’s YouTube’s audience and YouTube’s advertisers,” Mahl said. “It’s simple, but it has an encumbered return. … It’s not about abandoning YouTube, it’s about maximizing your relationship with consumers.”

Since DreamHost never upgraded, I ended up switching to MediaElement following WordPress’ lead. I found it easy to use and compatible with more devices. Maybe DreamHost should consider switching to something free…
http://mediaelementjs.com/