Upgrade Drupal from 4.7.4 to 5.1

apps

Hi! I’m running Drupal 4.7.4 on my domain’s root folder (PHP 4.4.2) and would like to upgrade to Drupal 5.1. I’m a bit scared of upgrading even though I know there are guides on how to do it and all that. I’d like to make certain of some things before I attempt to upgrade so if you could answer my questions, that would be great.

Okay, so I should backup my database and move my current Drupal installations to a backup folder, yes? Then install the new Drupal and copy over the theme and setting files and run upgrade.php? Since I’m making the jump from a 4 release to 5, do I need to upgrade to 5.0 before upgrading to 5.1 or can I just install 5.1?

I know the new version of Drupal now has a new default layout. I used the theme editor module to customize their old default layout. Would everything still be the same if I just copy over my old theme files? (Were any CSS variables changed that would affect my stylesheet, etc?)

I think that’s all the questions I have for now. I’m just really scared of everything breaking once I try to upgrade. If someone could write out a simplified guide to upgrade on DreamHost for me, that would be most awesome. Again, I know there are guides on how to upgrade on the Drupal site, but I’m still uneasy about the whole process.

Thanks in advance!

Hi friend,

There is a wealth of info and a videocast here. http://drupal.org/videocasts
Also note, you have to uprade 4.6 to 4.7 before going to 5.
…and remember to disable all the contirib modules before upgrading (you will need the 5.x versions)
one moore thing – make sure 5.x has the contrib/features you need before upgrading (I couldn’t upgrade some sites until certain modules are ready)

Also, the default theme ‘Garland’ comes with Steve’s color picker, but not a layout manager. I’m getting used to the themeing layer myself. :slight_smile:

ping me if you need more help, your best resource is drupal.org
-lgm