Updating Wordpress blog via email

wordpress

Is it possible to update Wordpress blog via email. I set up email address in settings/writing/post via email option, but I am not sure how to show this on the blog automatically. Is Dreamhost version of Wordpress set up to handle this? Thanks for any info!
Grace

Standard is that Dreamhost updates automatically WordPress. There is an option in the panel to have no updates or just an email notice

The question is not about updating Dreamhost, but about posting new entries in Wordpress blog via dreamhost email.

Technically WordPress can do this - http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_to_your_blog_using_email

I will caveat that this is a lightly used aspect of WP, and it doesn’t work ‘great.’ When possible, I suggest using the iOS or Android App.

I followed the steps before I wrote in the forum, but got lost on Step 3 - how to make the browser post the emails.
Step 3 - Publish Your E-mail Posts
I thought somebody maybe had some experience.

I used to use it :slight_smile:

There are two ‘easy’ ways. One would be to use the plugin Postie: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/postie/

That will do the heavy lifting for you.

The other ‘easiest’ thing would be to do this (you’ll need to log in either via SSH or an FTP client).

Go to /wp-content/ and make a folder called ‘mu-plugins’

In that new folder, make a file called ‘email-update.php’

In that file, paste the following:

add_action('shutdown', 'retrieve_post_via_mail'); function retrieve_post_via_mail() { flush(); // Display the page before the mail fetching begins if(get_transient('retrieve_post_via_mail')) { return; // The mail has been checked recently; don't check again } else { // The mail has not been checked in more than 15 minutes $mail = wp_remote_get(get_bloginfo('wpurl').'/wp-mail.php'); if(!is_wp_error($mail)) { // If retrieve succeeded set_transient('retrieve_post_via_mail', 1, 60 * 15); // check again in 15 minutes. } else { set_transient('retrieve_post_via_mail', 1, 60 * 5); // check again in 5 minutes; we don't want to overload the server } } }

This will check for updates every 15 minutes, which should be good for most people.

Well, the second option didn’t work. I am getting error messages:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/email-update.php:14) in /home/domainname/domainname.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 881
I am going to try the plug-in now.
[hr]
I’ve managed to set up postie, having some problems first with authorized addresses. Found that the word admin needs to be replaced with the name of wordpress admin, and this thing started working! Ufff!
Thanks for the help. I need this to send short updates when I am on the road, away from internet access.

Yeah, sadly, as the phone apps get better and better, WP becomes less and less accessible to post by email :frowning: