Updating to Joomla 1.5?

apps

I’ve used the one-click method to install Joomla on my web site, and am planning on using the CMS for my site.

I noticed that Joomla is now on version 1.5. Is there any good documentation for someone who is nervous about doing server installations/upgrades, but would like to upgrade to the newer version of the CMS? I haven’t added any content, so I thought this would be a good time.

Regards,
T

There is considerable documentation on the Joomla.org website regarding this (check the forums and help sections), but you should understand:

1. Joomla! 1.5 is not stable … they have just recently released RC4 - you may want to consider waiting until 1.5 stable is released (and maybe a little bit after that, so that any last minute bugs can be identified and squished). :wink:

2. The path from Joomla! 1.0.x to 1.t is not really an upgrade as much as it is a “migration”. The process is considerably different than a traditional Joomla! upgrade, and involves some migration scripts.

3. If you do this before DH upgrades their “one-click” installer, you will loose the ability to have the “one-click” upgrades. This is fine for me, but others prefer to retain that convenience.

4. Be aware that many of the commonly used extensions for Joomla! are not yet compatible with Joomla! 1.5, and most probably will not be (compatible) until 1.5 goes “stable” (and it may even take a while after that).

–rlparker

Very true RLParker, and you’re always on point so I don’t want to second guess you. I do however want to mention that a lot of older Joomla extensions are indeed functional in Joomla 1.5 if legacy support is enabled.

Regarding a migration path, I must agree with you. There are search results to be found on Google, but the real options are very limited if available at all.

Thank you very much! Considering all you’ve said, I’ll stick with 1.0, perhaps until DH deems it time to add the 1.5 stable upgrade.

Cheers!

T

That is a very good point, and I’m glad you mentioned it. Having the “legacy” switch can be a “lifesaver” if your “old” extension can use it, and I completely forgot to mention that!. :wink:

–rlparker