Updates not working?

Hello,

Recently I received a login/password for ftp access to fix some problems with a website here. When I log into the ftp server i see the domain.org folder and when I go into that folder all the files for the website are there.

But if I make any changes to a file, add a file, or remove a file, nothing is changed when I load the page via the internet.

I’m stumped. My best guess is that I was given some sort of account that just has a copy of the website files, but that I’m not changing the originals.

Is that a safe assumption. Should i be asking for some sort of “master” login / password?

Thanks for the help,
Stephen

[quote]I’m stumped. My best guess is that I was given some sort of account that just has a copy of the website files, but that I’m not changing the originals.

Is that a safe assumption. Should i be asking for some sort of “master” login / password?[/quote]
Your guess is as good as ours! You really should be asking the account holder. After all if they intended for you to work on a copy of the web site first, then they should be able to tell you that at some point (one would think!)

The DreamHost account holder gets access to the DreamHost Web Panel. From there they can choose to “Manage Domains.” For a ‘fully-hosted’ domain, they get to specify a “FTP / CGI runs-as user” that gets to manage the files for the domain. And naturally the files used for the domain are expected to be in the home directory of that particular user somewhere. The subdirectory is called ‘web directory’ by DreamHost, and the default naming convention is /home/username/domain/

In the event they did manage to give you the credentials for the “FTP / CGI runs-as” user then it sounds like you got cache issues with your browser or ISP.

Hope this helps!

:cool: openvein.org -//-

It sounds like it’s properly set up, so it could be a cache issue at your end. Try clearing your cache:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Clear_cache

Try going to the “logs/domain.org/http” directory in your home directory (above your domain.org folder) and see if there are recent entries in access.log that correspond with your domain. It’s a live update, so you should see time stamped entries in Pacific Standard Time.

-Scott

Every date in the access.log file is from March 2008. I’m guessing this confirms that the files i’m editing are not the same as what is being hosted on the internet.

It’s very strange, and I will try and resolve it with the owner of the account.
Thanks for the help.

Stephen

Did anyone ever figure this out? I"m having the exact same problem with my own site. I make updates to the site and I don’t see any changes. The problem at first is that I had the wrong db params in my mysql class. I changed them and I still get the exact same page. I even removed the die(‘error’) totally from all the code and it still shows up. I even did die(‘error…’) and it shows up solely as “error”. What is going on? I’ve tried everything clearing the cache with no results. Does anyone have any idea? This is really aggravating. My site