Updated pages not showing?

Hi,

I ftp’d my changes last night and my website still shows the old pages. When I ad a ? to the end of the URL then the new pages show up. How do I force my website to show updated pages instead of the old pages? Its been 10 hours since I uploaded all the changes.

Thanks.

Try clearing your browser cache, if simply reloading the page doesn’t work.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

I just cleared cache in Firefox and in Control Panel/Internet Options. I then deleted my entire website and ftp’d again but it still shows old pages. I’ll call my brother now and see what he sees when checking from his end.

Hmm. I wonder if you’re somehow going through a caching proxy server?

Oh, and it’s embarrassing for me to ask, but you’re not using a web accelerator, are you? (don’t hit me)

You might take a look at this page and see if it inspires you.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Not using web accelerator and not going through a cache proxy. It’s the first time this sort of thing has happened to me. I have clients that I do web sites for and I always explain to them how to clear their cache. I followed my own advise (which always worked) but now it does not. My brother (from his PC) sees my site as it should be, but I still see old pages for some reason even after doing all the steps that I know and have always used.

I will quickly read that link you gave me and see if I am missing something.

Thanks for the info.

How about trying a different browser (IE, Firefox, Opera, etc…). Assuming you haven’t viewed your site recently with it. If so, clear the files there too and see if it helps.

If it’s okay there, the problem is at your end. If not, could be cached by your ISP… but I’m not sure simply adding a ? would change that.

It really sounds like it’s on your end though, especially when everyone else sees what they should.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

If all we care about is getting it to reflect what’s on the site now, then clearing the cache, etc will band-aid the problem. I’m not sure that’s all that the OP is interested in. Though it might be. lol

But the real problem that would be good to address is making sure your site updates properly with various caching that can be going on between your site and your visitors. After all, you don’t want to tell your visitors to clear their cache every so often because you might have updated content. :open_mouth:

Anyway, I mention this because I think it’s a bit dangerous for us webmasters to say “the problem is on the client end” when it’s our responsibility to make sure that our content is served up in a way that eliminates any problems due to natural caching by the browser or by proxy caches or anything that might be in the path between our web servers and our clients’ browser!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options