Update DNS Record Script

software development

Does anyone know how one could go about having a remove server update its dns record?

For example, I have a server at home that has a dynamic ip (changes every other week). I know how to have it get its own ip, but now I want to have it update its dns record on dreamhost to point to its new ip.

Any ideas?

The only supported way of updating DNS records at DreamHost is via the panel.

In the past, some people have experimented with accessing the panel via scripts, but this is a fairly complicated procedure. Searching the forum should turn up a thread or two on the subject.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

It depends on whether or not it’s two different domains (not to be confused with sub-domains). If the domain you’re wanting to use is already hosted at DH you’ve got no recourse other than to do as Mark suggests - some tricksy manipulations of the DH control panel forms.

If, however, you have a spare domain just lying around doing nothing, you can getchyerself a nice (…for all values of “nice” = “free”) dynamic DNS service someplace like ZoneEdit and you can point your home server hardware to that domain name regardless of its IP.

But I suspect you’re probably wanting to point a subdomain of a domain already hosted at DH, which may be possible but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re very familiar with DNS and having a long consultation wirh DH staff on the matter.

Also you could point your hostname at Dreamhost to a dyndns.org hostname and then when you update with dyndns it would automatically go to your IP Address.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]

Just to clarify what khatfield is suggesting, you would need to add a CNAME DNS record to achieve this.

For example, if your dyndns hostname is somename.dyndns.org and you want to direct the somename.somedomain.com to that hostname (and indirectly to your home IP address), you would do the following;

Firstly, do not add the somename.somedomain.com sub-domain to the DreamHost hosting system.

Go to Domains -> Manage Domains in the panel, click the small [DNS] link next to somedomain.com then add a DNS record with the following settings;

Name: somename
Type: CNAME
Value: somename.dyndns.org

Now you just need a dyndns client on your system to update the dyndns.org hostname whenever your home IP address changes.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Now that’s cool! Thanks!

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

Mark is right. Sorry about my vague explanation. Thanks Mark for clarifying

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]

It does work pretty slick. No more trying to get people to translate strange domain names.

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.