Unlimited domains with happy hosting?

I have one domain now hosted with DreamHost, and two more registered with namecheap that I might like to host with DreamHost, too. The ‘Manage Account’ tab at panel.dreamhost.com will let me click a button to ‘add domain to host.’

Is there an additional charge for hosting more domains, or are additional domains covered under the same charge of $8.95 per month?

Usually with DreamHost you get one free domain, and then $9.00~$12.00 per year for each additional domain. The unlimited domain thing simply means you can have unlimited domains on your account, but you still have to pay for them.

Some people use a cheaper registrar to keep the their domains registered, and then host the websites on DreamHost. This might make sense if you had loads of domain names, since you could save a good bit of money.

I have about 10 domain names, and just keep them all registered with DreamHost because it is convenient, and is just a few extra dollars a year.

Thanks for the response, sierracircle! I’ve already registered the two additional domains with namecheap, and don’t need to move the registrations here. I’d like to have dreamhost handle the hosting, and that’s all.

You can do that, and you don’t need to transfer the registrations. and there is no additional charge on most plans (the exception is the free account they give non-profit organizations)

The simplest method is login via namecheap and set the nameservers for the domain to ns1.dreamhost.com ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com. It will take a bit for that change to propagate the internet (allow 12-72 hours).

In the meantime just add you domain to the manage domains page in the dreamhost panel.

When the DNS has changed you will see the dreamhost quickstart page when you visit the domain.

Thanks, LakeRat. I heard from dreamhost support, too, and the amiable tech suggested I post his answer here:

[color=#C71585]“With your active shared hosting plan “Happy Hosting” you can host an unlimited number of domains/sub-domains, mailboxes, databases, etc. so
there’s no additional charge. You’d only be charged if you were registering/renewing or transferring domain registrations. And with your active shared hosting plan you get one (.COM, .NET, .ORG or .INFO) free each year!”
[/color]