Unique FTP usernames Dreamhost-wide?

New to Dreamhost here, so please excuse a simple question:

We can’t seem to duplicate our usual ftp usernames from our last host at Dreamhost because it says they are already used. I haven’t run into that limitation with other shared hosts in the past. Across what domain does Dreamhost require ftp usernames to be unique? All of Dreamhost, one specific server at Dreamhost, or something else?

Or are we missing something?

I notice that the Wiki entries for FTP have broken image links where they attempt to show correct configuration information, which is unfortunate since that’s the first place that new users will check. I assume that’s because they broke when copied from the old database and haven’t been fixed yet.

I believe it’s unique across all of DH’s servers. Don’t ask me why, but I ran into that same problem when I set aside some diskspace for a friend of mine. And I even double checked on my server the name wasn’t in use before I tried to set it up.

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?

Usernames are unique per cluster. This is to make it possible to move people between servers easily. This is also why you cannot merge accounts in different clusters or move to a machine in a different cluster.

Ah, or that too. Thanks for the clarification, Michael. Figured it was something like that… honest, I did… :wink:

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?

Does this mean when one reaches the signup page, a cluster is already assigned? Or is one randomly selected upon submission of the first page?

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color] – zaps the monthly plans too!