Uninstall WordPress

wordpress

I recently installed WordPress via the one-click setup only to find out today that I need Mambo/Joomla instead. Is it simply a case of installing Mambo, using the same DB and chucking the WordPress folder out?

Many thanks for any help

Ole

There’s no need to check word press. just create a new database, and make the mambo one click install.

If you really want to delete word press, you’ll have to delete the folder, and either clear out the datbase with phpmyadmin or delete it entirely and add a new one in.

-Matttail

I guess it would be logical for DreamHost to provide one-click UNinstall, esp. when the other guy can do it. Sh … shmantastico … :smiley:

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

Actually, the “one-click” DH installs of WordPress and Mambo can share the same database, as the “prefix” setting in each install process precludes table conflicts.

Deleting WordPRess is easy, though the preocess varies dep[ending on whether you are working from a shell (ssh or telnet) or with FTP. Simply delete all the files and directories for WordPress, then go to your host name (xxx.yourdomainname.com) and use phpMyAdmin to “drop” all the WordPress tables.

If you do this, your database will remain intact, and be all ready for your Mambo/Joomla install. I strongly suggest that you go with the new Joomla 1.01 install rather than the DH “one” click install, which installs Mambo 4.5.2.3. There is considerable traffic on the Joomla/Mambo sites that indicate Joomla 1.01 has many corrected bugs (some security related!) that are still present in Mambo 4.5.2.3, and my experience has shown Joomla 1.01 to be noticeably faster and more stable on the back-end than the latest Mambo.

to Install Joomla using ssh, just wget the install file from the joomla site, untar it, and navigate to the directory via a web browser. Use your existing WordPress database, and you are up and running, actually faster than using “one-click”, as you don’t have to wait for the database to be created.

Regards,
rlparker

Hi,

well, that’s really useful information and I will certainly go down that route. However, I am COMPLETELY new to all of this sort of stuff and as such I’m stumped as to what SSH and WGET are? Is this something I do via the DreamHost control panel or is it something I do from my Mac?

thanks in advance,

Ole

Ok, that was almost tooooo easy. I FTPed Joomla to the site, navigated there via my browser, used the MySQL settings from the Mambo install and Bob’s your uncle - Up and Running.

Thanks everyone for you help,

Ole

odsturm,

Well, if you are completely new to all this stuff, then a little more information is in order ;-).

The tools I was referring to (ssh wget) are primarily *nix command line tools that are used from the *nix shell prompt. SInce you indicated you are familiar with Mac, I’m not sure hhow comfortable you will be using the command line, but here is an overview of what is involved:

1. Obtain, and install on your mac, a “secure shell” (ssh) client program (googleing or inquiring in a mac forum should point you in the right direction).

2. Using that ssh client, log onto your account at dreamhost.

3)If you want to run Jommla/Mambo from any location other than your “base” dir (reachable at http://yourdomain.com), create a directory to hold your Joomla installation using the mkdir command as follows

mkdir dirname

** Note, DO not type the “” above or in the following instructions. This is used to indicate “return” or “enter”

1. If you created a new directory under step 2 above, move into the directory into which you are going to install Joomla
    by typing:

cd dirname

1. Still logged on using your ssh client software, use the DH “wget” command to obtain the latest (as of today!) Joomla distribution tarball as follows:

wget http://developer.joomla.org/sf/frs/do/downloadFile/projects.joomla/frs.joomla_1_0.1_0_1/frs1304?dl=1

This will retrieve the latest distribution from joomla.org and will leave a single file in your directory called “frs1304?dl=1”

note for future wget use:
Typically, you will receive a file named in some fashion after the distribution you are retreiving. In this case, because of the link Joomla.org provides, the file name you receive is not related to the distribution name. Generally, to retrieve a file with wget, simply type “wget http://url.to_the_file” and hit carriage return, and the file will be retreived with a meaningful name.

1. Now it is time to “untar” the tarball file you just received by typing:

tar -xzvf frs1304?dl=1

You will now see a long scrolling list of files being extracted from the tarball and directories being built and populated with those files. This is your Joomla installation taking place and, because you did it from the command line logged in as your user, all the files will have proper permissions set (assuming you are running PHP as CGI, which is the default Dreamhost setting - If you are not running PHP as CGI, a different approach is indicated.)

1. Gather the information about your database in which WordPress was installed (Host, database name, user name, password) and use a modern browser to open the directory into which you unpacked the tarball. If you unpacked it into your “base” directory", go to http://yourdomain.com, or if you built a sub-directory for it, go there, ex. http://yourdomain.com/directory

2. Follow the prompts from the Joomla installation screens, iinputing the database information you previously gathered, and you are good to go!

Enjoy Joomla!

he he he… looks like our posts crossed in the ether! Here I was typing away while you were successfully installing. Good Job!

:slight_smile:
rlparker

Yup, ships in the night. Thanks a stack for the run-down. I’ll have a close look at that. - very informative.

cheerio

Ole

For running Joomla on DH, should I run PHP as a CGI script / or no?

Any other configuration issues for running Joomla on DH servers?

I strongly suggest running PHP as CGI for Joomla as it is much easier to install that way. Actually, I haven not attempted an installation with PHP running as and Apache module in a long time, and last time I did try it, a lot of stuff had to be tweaked and configured.

I haven’t found any other DH related configuration issues; the Joomla stuff works great. The only possible DH related thing you might want to consider is that DH used to caution you that the “dataglob” was subject to change, and that, if your scripts reference the “dataglob” implicitly, your scripts could break.

The “dataglob” is the part of your path that starts with the period (from your error messages, the /.somethingr/ element).

During the Joomla install, change your paths in the forms to omit the dataglob references (/.waddlesheater). Joomla will still work without the /.something part, and will not break if/when DH cahnges your “dataglob”.

Good Luck!
–rlparker