"uninstall" php5

I installed php5 as an apache module some months ago and would now like to return both my domains exactly as they were.

I’m a little paranoid about messing something up.

Any help would be appreciated.

PHP5 can’t be installed as an Apache module by users, you must be refering to PHP5 CGI. To “uninstall” it, remove the entries from within your .htaccess file(s). Ta-da, done.

You can then safely delete any PHP CGI binaries you might have in your site.

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot.

When I installed php5 I followed these instructions (http://shimon.phpwebhosting.com/howto/index.php/installphp5/) It states in the instructions that it is installed as an apache module. Regardless, your instructions where basically what I had in mind. Thanks.

I deleted the following lines of my .htaccess file (leaving it blank):
AddHandler custom-php .php .pcgi

Action custom-php /cgi-bin/php.cgi

I deleted the file php.cgi from the /cgi-bin folder. I then deleted all the binary files from my root directory.

I’ve got a file named phpinfo.php that’s trying to call phpinfo().

I’m getting a 404 stating:
The requested URL /cgi-bin/php.cgi/phpinfo.php was not found on this server.

So it seems it’s still looking for the php.cgi, yet I deleted that info in the .htaccess file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sure that was the only .htaccess file? I’d also double check your setting in the DH panel too.

But that should have done it. W/out the custom handler, it will fall back on Apache’s default, which will be set through the DH Panel on a domain by domain basis.

When I was clearing the decks before reinstalling it, I did this (use at your own risk and note that all of the directories I deleted existed ONLY because of the php5 install - if you’re using any of them for anything else for heaven’s sake don’t delete them):

cd /home/myaccount rm -r src rm -r php rm -r etc cd /home/myaccount/mydomain rm -r cgi-bin

thanks. ‘find’ tracked down a stray file. working great now.