"Unfixable" 403 error?

I keep getting a 403 error when I link from another website (namely deviantart and a few others) to an image on my website. I can refresh the page, but nothing happens. If I hit “go” on my browser (latest version of FireFox) the image will show up for me, but I’m not sure if it will for other people.

I did try going to the dh-wiki and looking this up. It told me to add “Options Indexes” to an .htaccess file in the directory, but it didn’t fix the problem.

The only changes I have made was implementing a small perl counter script in my main directory and using the ASCII transfer mode temporarily. I’ve since switched back to the default settings for my ftp client. (I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to perl, but I was following instructions for the script)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

403 means forbidden. There are two things that determine what is forbidden: the web server and CGI scripts. One influences the web server through an “.htaccess file” also known as a per-directory configuration file.

You haven’t provided enough information to be sure, but the most likely probelm is you have an .htaccess file that includes directives for restricting access to the image file. While one can make such a file by hand they can also be made by scripts or through the control panel.

To make sure you didn’t set one up by mistake using the control panel, go to Goodies -> Htaccess/WebDAV and select your domain. Then if you have any directories listed there, “Edit” them and make sure “Forbid linking to files in this dir” is not checked.

:cool: [color=#6600CC]Atropos[/color] | openvein.org