Unable to initialise SFTP on server

Hi,

I am using FileZilla and I encountered this error. It was perfectly working the past few months. However today, all of a sudden, it didn’t work. I tried to update my FileZilla but still I see this fatal error.

Response: fzSftp started
Command: open “@”
Command: Pass: ********
Error: Fatal: unable to initialise SFTP on server: could not connect
Error: Could not connect to server

Someone here encountered the same problem? FileZilla and Dreamhost.

Thanks.

Check that your account is set for SFTP for one. Are you going to yourdomain.com or server.dreamhost.com?

Hi,

Thank you for your time to check on my concern.

I am not sure if the account is set for SFTP since I am not the admin. But I’ll ask them regarding that. I can access my site though (domain.com) but I can’t make any changes since I can’t connect to the server.

My FileZilla was perfectly working 2 days ago and the past few months. I didn’t change anything on the settings. Today I created a new site on Site Manager, set protocol to FTP, normal logon type but after connecting, it says:

[color=#800000]Error: Cannot establish FTP connection to an SFTP server. Please select proper protocol.
Error: Critical error
[/color]

So I changed back the protocol to SFTP. Then the error went back:

[color=#800000]Status: Connecting to …
Response: fzSftp started
Command: open “@”
Command: Pass: ********
Error: Fatal: unable to initialise SFTP on server: could not connect
[/color]

Thank you. :slight_smile:

If you’re not the admin, then you need to ask them if your account was changed. Unless you own the domain and have panel access, we really can’t just change it for you since we can’t be sure it IS yours :confused:

The setting is in Panel -> Users and then edit the user to see if SFTP is checked.