Uber-uploader on dreamhost

software development

I’ve downloaded Uber-uploader but I can’t install it on Dreamhost.

I found many info about php.ini in dreamhost wiki and sth like that but it seem to be quite difficult. I didn’t know what I have to do.

Any help…

any help, please…

For security the php upload limit has been set to 7mb. TO get around that you either have to follow the instructions in the wiki on php.ini or compile your own php installation. Neither are particularly simple and require some previous knowledge.

I can suggest a reading list from the wiki to get you started, and you can post questions as you go. The alternative would be to pay someone to do it for you. If you make an offer I’m sure someone on this board will do it for you.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I’ve downloaded and inspected the uber-upload package, and it’s installation seems to be well-documented and straight-forward.

I see no reason you should need to compile your own custom PHP to install it…

What problems are you having with the install?

–rlparker

I installed and uploaded some file on my Dreamhost account successfully.

But the progress bar disappeared during uploading stage.

I uploaded 5Mb file and do everything according to forum’s guidelines
about progress bar.

It still didn’t show the progress bar properly.

My address for uploading is:

http://testing.heomap.com/html/uu_file_upload.php
http://testing.heomap.com/cgi-bin/uu_upload.pl?cmd=debug

I fixed uu_conlib.php file:

$check_null_file_count = 1;
$check_duplicate_file_count = 1;
$cedric_progress_bar = 1;
$progress_bar_width = 400;

but in debug mode still appear DISABLED ??

What can I do now?

One thing you can do is stop randomly sending private messages to people asking the same question. If someone can help you, they will do so in this thread.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Are you angry with me??

I’m so sorry because complaining all of you.

Thanks for your all comments, regards!

I don’t have any idea what you may be doing wrong…I just downloaded and installed version 4.8 - it took about 5 minutes to install on DH with no custom PHP work required (the actual upload is accomplished by a perl program, so the max_upload_filesize PHP issue is not relevant), and tested it with a 13 MB file…it worked fine and the progress bar works.

I suggest you start over, read the instructions carefully, and try again - it does work as advertised and it does work on DH.

Here are the settings I used in the uu_conlib.php file:

$UBER_VERSION = “4.8”;
$path_to_upload_script = ‘/cgi-bin/uu_upload.pl’;
$path_to_ini_status_script = ‘/cgi-bin/uu_ini_status.pl’;
$default_config_file = ‘uu_default_config’;
$disallow_extensions = ‘/(sh|php|php3|php4|php5|py|shtml|phtml|cgi|pl|plx|htaccess|htpasswd)$/i’;
$allow_extensions = ‘/(jpg|jpeg|gif|bmp)$/i’;
$MULTI_CONFIGS_ENABLED = 0;
$multi_upload_slots = 1;
$embedded_upload_results = 0; //Warning: This feature does not work using Safari Browser
$max_upload_slots = 20;
$check_file_name_format = 1;
$check_disallow_extensions = 1;
$check_allow_extensions = 0;
$check_null_file_count = 1;
$check_duplicate_file_count = 1;
$cedric_progress_bar = 1;
$progress_bar_width = 400;

Just follow along step-by-step with the instructions, and it should work. :wink:

–rlparker

Since this is an often-requested feature, maybe it is worth adding some blurb about it on the wiki?

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Ok, all of things are done!

I’ve downloaded Uber-uploader 4.8 and it works perfectly with progress bar. Maybe with 4.7.1 version, it didn’t work :slight_smile:

Thanks for your helps.

Uhm…there was a problem again.

When I uploaded Uber-uploader 4.8 on my host first time, the progress bar work correctly. But when I uploaded something again, it didn’t appear as I wish. I can’t explain this situation indeed. Sometimes it did and vice versace :slight_smile:

Would you please check this and help me how to solve this?

Thanks for your time, regards.

Take a look at it now…I had a little trouble, as I did not know your username, so I modified the tmp_dir path in the uu_default_config.pm file (using an environment variable), and I changed the directory structure to one I know works.

You can change that as you see fit as long as you keep the paths straight.

It is working fine for me…is currently uploading a 23 MB file…I set the file size limit to 100 MB - you can change as you wish per the instructions.

So now it has been tested to be working on both PHP4 and PHP5.

You probably want to throw an index.html file up there, and change that user/pass asap. :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks for your best support :slight_smile:

But in fact, you just need to change the directory structure as you did. You shouldn’t do any change in the uu_default_config.pm file indeed.

Have a nice day!

You are welcome, and I’m glad you got it working! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

If that’s how you feel, one thing you could do is change:

Accept private messages from other users?
Yes No

Some folks don’t always mind answering inquiries off-list, and also consider “exposing” private communications or information to be wrong. Obviously YMMV.

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

[quote]If that’s how you feel, one thing you could do is change:

Accept private messages from other users?
Yes No

Some folks don’t always mind answering inquiries off-list, and also consider “exposing” private communications or information to be wrong. Obviously YMMV.[/quote]
I hope that no one does this - particularly the senior members of the community. I appreciate the ability to backchannel off-topic communication and to speak privately about inconsequential or personal stuff and would miss that ability.

I think the original idea of trying to keep customer-to-customer technical support to the open forum itself is the best solution. Actually, it’s best for the original poster as well because it give other people the opportunity to contribute to the discussion/solution and gives those who have the same problem later to benefit from the “log”. It even helps the people here who are trying to help in forming a log of previous “support” requests and solutions that we can all draw on to augment our sometimes-failing memories!

PM’ing a question to someone you don’t know is not particularly polite behavior. If you post it as well, it also breaks the double-posting rule!

Anyway, my main concern is to try to dissuade people from turning off their PM’s.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I agree having a public record of problems and solutions is useful. Good articles in the wiki are even better, but we don’t always get that either.

The person went almost 24 hours without reply to the post. Contacting some people with PM is another logical step to try. I’m quite sure they weren’t “random”.

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

You might consider it “logical”, but I still consider it inappropriate:

1. In this case, it’s easy to understand why many would not respond…there wasn’t a clear question asked other than “can someone help me”

2. The problem involved a particular script - for a day to pass without someone with knowledge of that script to come along and offer to jump in is probably to be expected, particularly when the suppport/response is “free”.

3. Asking for help with a custom php.ini scares a lot of us off - just look at the number of threads dealing with that if you want to know why (Generally speaking, those with adequate knowledge to do it need no help, those that need help probably have no business doing it at all!)

When someone with whom I have had no previous contact presumes to PM me to ask for personal help with an issue “out of the blue” that’s random. :wink:

–rlparker

[quote]other than “can someone help me”

[/quote]

If you or one of the other very frequent or verbose posters don’t quickly answer with at least “What problems are you having”, and sometimes implicit “see my sig’ below” :-), then it may also appear the post was missed or overlooked.

Also, your motives are not readily apparent to the short-term observer, and this and the other thread will soon fade. It could appear that some - not randomly chosen - posters, crave any form of communication and might welcome PMs. :wink: Maybe a more explicit sig’/disclaimer like “PM me for private help, for a fee” would clarify.

[quote]those that need help probably have no business doing it at all!

[/quote]

It sounds like you think we’re talking about installing natural gas pipes or something. :smiley:

[quote]random

[/quote]

No offense, but I think you’re using a common, not proper, definition of the word.

lacking a definite plan, purpose, or pattern b : made, done, or chosen at random . determined by accident rather than design. RANDOM stresses lack of definite aim, fixed goal, or regular procedure .

----------

[quote]
Also, your motives are not readily apparent to the short-term observer, and this and the other thread will soon fade. It could appear that some - not randomly chosen - posters, crave any form of communication and might welcome PMs. Maybe a more explicit sig’/disclaimer like “PM me for private help, for a fee” would clarify.[/quote]
In almost every forums I’ve ever been at, you usually ask a user before pming them, as it can be equivalent, at times, to unsolicited spam. Most people on Freenode use that same method/concept as well.
So that I believe is where rlparker is coming from in this regard :slight_smile:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!