I just had to have a look at this program.
I used ssh to wget the two files from sourceforge into my document root.
I untarred the two files and changed the dummy folder to a nicer name as per the README file.
Then running www.example.com/nicer_name/ I went into the configuration tool where the only problems I came across were some missing folders under the typo3temp folder which I just added via ssh.
I just clicked buttons and changed passwords as instructed before ending up at the backend site.
My problem is ‘content’
I used the newsletter template but after adding “I think the main problem is having any content!” that was me all contented out!!!
I have not fiddled with anything yet as there are just too many buttons and my eyesight is going a bit now!
I cannot see any problem with installing it in the document root but you might have to readjust the simlinks from the dummy site folder to the source files.
I think it would be easier to link an index.html/php file from the document root to the dummy site folder. I always tend to prefer to leave the document root clear and use subfolders. I do not know if that is good web design or not but it does seem the most practicable.
The sun is now over the yard-arm so I may be incable of supplying coherent replies later.