Truecrypt or similar?

apps

Greetings all. I’m new to dreamhost, but very impressed so far. I was wondering if there’s anything like truecrypt (see www.truecrypt.org) on the system? It lets you create an encrypted volume that’s mountable like a physical disk. To compile my own requires root (and, perhaps, 2.6.x sources, unless there’s an older version).

Alternately, do people have other best-known methods for encrypting files kept on the dh servers?

Thanks!
Rob

on my laptop I run encfs, that I find a little better.
But since it requires fuse, I doubt that it will run on DH

BUGabundo :o)
promo here
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans
Free lifetime Domain with “BUGDOMAIN” promo code

Shared hosting isn’t well suited to that level of paranoia. The feds already have all your traffic to/from the host so you aren’t going to be keeping it from them and the amount of CPU utilized to do on the fly encryption/decryption might make you a “bad citizen”.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

connecting via SSH renders those 3 letters agencies useless when it comes to sniffing the traffic

BUGabundo :o)
promo here
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans
Free lifetime Domain with “BUGDOMAIN” promo code

It is possible to brute force decrypt SSH traffic when you’ve got government money.

It’s just that if enough people use encryption, no one will know which streams to attack. Encrypt everything, it’s not illegal (yet).

(oh, and proprietary encryption isn’t encryption.)

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!