Troubleshoot a non-dreamhost server to help me switch

So this is an odd request I know but I’m at my wits end.

I am trying to get my company to switch to Dreamhost because the server we are on is constantly down but I am having a hard time proving it’s the server hosts fault.

We are running a Wordpress site with a custom theme from Theme forest and we are constantly getting Internal server errors were the site will be down for days until we can finally get ahold of tech support to get them to do something (they wont tell us what) that gets the site running again.

There was some speculation about either the permissions or the htaccess file but I cant get a straight answer. Matter of fact they’ve just gotten downright snotty with me. This is an actual quote from the manager when I told him that I was pretty sure it wasn’t the site since I had it running on another server

“We can install a clean version of WordPress for you. There are over 2000 Wordpress sites running here so …”

That dot, dot, dot just gets me boiling every time I read it.

I have loaded the site with it’s database and all of it’s widgets and plug-ins onto my server here at Dreamhost and it’s running just fine.

Here’s the site
http://www.berea.com/

Here’s the copy on my server
http://www.sub7th.com/wordpress

Obviously some of the links are busted but you’ll see that if you navigate around a bit it’s working just fine.

Does anyone have any clue as to what would cause this constant internal server error?

//------
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@berea.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.19 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.berea.com Port 80
//---------

If I can give them a solid theory I can convince them to just move the site to Dreamhost. I’ve been here over 6 years and never had anything like this nightmare.

It could possibly be a memory issue. Wordpress can be slightly heavy on the resources depending how much activitiy your site is having and what types of plugins you have installed. Also since I’m assuming you are in a shared environment it might not actually be your site that is causing the problem. Best bet if you have a lot of activity is to go vps and have your own slice of resources allocated to you.

There have been a couple instances where it was definitely the server. We have another Joomla site on the server that I check as well. If it’s up and our site is down then I know it’s a problem with the site, if they are both down and the Cpanel is inaccessible I can blame the server.

Recently it’s just been the site.
The server host has offered to upgrade our plan to a 100% up time guarantee but I’ve just had so many issues that I’d rather not go that route and get out all together.

I beginning to think that the only way to get to the source of this problem is to physically be at the server and inspect it, which wont happen.