Trouble with outgoing email

when i try to send an email to an address from within my domain, i have no problems. but when i try to send email outside of my domain (everything else in the world) emails
bounce back at me everytime. here is a typical error response:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 10/19/2005 5:42 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

‘tyler_mcghee@yahoo.com’ on 10/19/2005 5:42 PM
554 tyler_mcghee@yahoo.com: Relay access denied

please help! this is driving me insane!

Are your settings such that you are logging intot he outogin smtp server? you have to authenticate yoru self to send E-mail.

Sorry, if you’ve allready got it that way - not sure by your post if this is a new set up or existing one that got broken.

-Matttail

if you are using cox, comcast, etc, you may need to use their outgoing smtp settings, as they may block the port dreamhost uses to send outgoing messages…

who is your isp provider…in other words?

Sometimes you can use port 587 to get around such blocks.

I hope I’m understanding you correctly. I had issues sending stuff from my sub-domain addy (got same error message), but not from all of my normal domain name addies (7 total for domain, only 1 from sub-domain). I am capable of sending FROM within my sub-domain forum but wasn’t from my email proggie on the comp when I chose to use the addy as my sending account. Strangly, it DID allow stuff sent to the account to be RECEIVED, but I couldn’t SEND from my program. But, finds out, I was retarded and forgot to set something.
If using Outlook (in this case, 2002), check your Outgoing Server:

Tools>Email Accounts
View/Change existing email accounts>Next
Double click the account that is giving you probs
More Settings>Outgoing Server
Check "My SMTP requires authenication"
Check “Log on using”, and put your FTP username/pass
Check "Remember my password
Ok/Finish