Trouble with Joomla 1.5 and Gallery 2

apps

Hi
I have been trying to install Joomla 1.5, and configure Gallery 2 to run as an embedded component. I have installed the Gallery plugin for Joomla (the alpha version for Joomla 1.5) and I have followed the instructions for configuring Gallery to work as an embedded component.

Things appear to work at first – the gallery “top” page displays correctly, but the links, which are generated all have ‘cgi-system/php.cgi’ inserted into the URI. This URI string shows, regardless of any changes to the Gallery 2 configuration settings. I know that some of it is working because it can build the main page.

Looking at the server logs, I see many errors of the form: The PHP CGI cannot be accessed directly … This PHP CGI binary was compiled with force-cgi-redirect enabled. This that a page will only be served up if the REDIRECT_STATUS CGI variable is via an Apache Action directive.

I see several posts here with reference to ‘cgi-system,’ but I can’t see anything that leads me to understand and fix this problem. (That would be, short of building my own php, which I’d rather not do, if I can avoid it.)

Has anyone here at DreamHost tried this combination – Has anyone had success with this? If so, could you share your setup configuration?

I’ve tried the G2Bridge support forum, but no luck so far. See
http:// http://forum.4theweb.nl/showthread.php?t=1022&page=6

I suppose the obvious is, wait 'till both are final and try again, but I was wondering if anyone here had been down this path already.

Thanks,

Ed,

I actually did attempt a similar installation a while back, but encountered numerous problems that I evaluated as being indicative of the combination of releases I was using just not being ready for “prime time”.

As you pointed out, neither of the applications are in a “ready to release” state to work together at present (even less so when I last tried it!), so I didn’t trouble shoot it further. :wink:

Hey, there’s a reason they call it " the bleeding edge"! I’m sorry I can’t report that I had success with it and/or have a working configuration/setup to share with you.

–rlparker

Thank you for your reply. Just one additional followup – has anyone got Joomla 1.0.x (stable) working with the older (stable) Gallery 2 bridge? Might be worthwhile knowing if that does or does not work.
Cheers,
– Ed

Yes, I have had that configuration working, but you have to be a little careful with which 1.0.x version you are using - IIRC the latest 1.0.13 created problems with many bridges, breaking logins because of the changes in salting the MD5 hashes.

I also found that Gallery2 was slow enough as it was and that embedding it into Joomla via a bridge resulted in unacceptably slow performance for my tastes, hence I abandoned it.

–rlparker

(Okay, now i’m veering off topic) – Did you find an alternative you liked better? (or did you just go for the simple builtins from Joomla?)

(Oh, and the G2 Plugin developer is looking into my logs and report – I’ll update this thread if they provide a solution.)

Ha ha ha! I think I have probably used just about every commonly encountered photogallery application out there at one time or another, and have used several of them “wrapped” within Joomla!. It really depends on what the given client needs/wants. Of late, people seem to be very happy with the Simple Image Gallery component for Joomla. It’s dead simple, and attractive, though it doesn’t have nearly the features of Gallery 2.

It’s good to hear that the G2 bridge component developer is looking into your issues - hopefully a “fix” is forthcoming. :slight_smile:

–rlparker