Trouble Using JQuery

apps

Hi everyone,

I have several domains hosted by Dreamhost, and they all have WordPress installations on them. I recently began learning to design with Adobe Dreamweaver CS4, and I’ve created my first non-WordPress site for a student project at grad school.

I created a subdomain (www.depression.kathykeating.net) of one of my sites with WordPress installed on it (www.kathykeating.net) to publish this site to the web, but I did not add a WordPress installation to that subdomain. I then uploaded all my files (which went fine). The site works, which is great, however, two elements that I created using JQuery don’t render properly. One (a beautiful blue drop-down menu) displays as just a long unnumbered list of text links and the other (an image carousel) doesn’t display at all.

Does anyone know what might be preventing my JQuery from rendering properly? I’ve checked that all the JQuery files are on the server (they are), but when I try to actually view one online (www.depression.kathykeating.net/jquery.js, for instance), I get a Forbidden page with the message “You don’t have permission to access /jquery.js on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.”

If anyone has any advice on how to get this working, I’d really appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Kathy

Do you have a .htccess file there. If so, what is in it?

The permissions of a couple of the files in your web directory (jquery.js, another .js file, and css/menu.css) were set to not allow the web server to read them. I changed those for you, and your site is looking much better now.

Wow, andrewf! Thanks so much! I didn’t know anyone else could get in there and do that! I think there’s got to be one more file that needs this change (maybe menu.js), since the background of my top right menu isn’t showing up (it should be dark blue). Can you tell me how you did it, so I can fix that one (plus then I’ll know for next time)? Thanks again!

Kathy

PS to Cameron: D - Thanks for responding to my request for help! I do have a .htaccess file among the files of the main domain (www.kathykeating.net) but not in the subdomain. My professor at school advised me to find the file, remove its contents and then test my site. Unfortunately, doing that didn’t fix much, and none of my 2nd level pages on my main domain worked anymore, so I switched it back. That said, here’s what’s inside that file:

BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

END WordPress

Is there something here I could (or could have) changed to get my subdomain working properly? Thanks for responding and for any extra advice you can give me! :slight_smile:

@andrewf - Just wanted to let you know that I read up on permissions and figured out how to change mine. I changed them on my css/images, and my menu works perfectly now. Thanks so much for your help getting me there!

Kathy

I was just wondering about the htaccess file as that may have been blocking access.

Nothing to do with htaccess this time. The files were just not set as readable by the web server.