Trouble accessing files on server and FTP issues

Hello all,

So I’m brand new to DreamHost and pretty new to html in general (taken a few courses over the years but just very basic stuff that never got put into practice until now) and I am having all sorts of issues today. I’m hoping someone can give me a bit of direction as to what I may be doing wrong.

My first issue today has been simply getting an FTP to work. When looking under the Manage Domains tab in the DH Web Panel I have been using the WebFTP option. As recently as Friday this worked without issue and I was able to create an index.html with a picture displayed (here). Today I have been getting errors such as:

Unable to connect to FTP server hartmannwrites.com on port 21.

Are you sure this is the address of the FTP server? This is often different from that of the HTTP (web) server. Please contact your ISP helpdesk or system administrator for help.

Between then and now no changes have been made to any settings and the setting the disallows ftp is not enabled. The FTP option does nothing (so far as I can tell) but allow me to view files so it has been of no use to me. I chose to click the Go to Login Screen option and based on the example below the server entry field I added “ftp.” before hartmannwrites.com and was able to access the net2ftp site and upload pictures I wanted to the server, but then I could not access them. I have a picture called “sar.jpg” and to my knowledge I should be able to access it at hartmannwrites.com/sar.jpg now that I uploaded it to the server, but I get 404’d with this message:

The requested URL /sar.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I then created a test page and tried to embed two pictures in it. I simply copied from the code of the index.html page to create it. The page comes up but the pictures are broken. Curiously, in the net2ftp site, when I click open beside my html pages, I get 404’d again but it goes to http://hartmannwrites.com/hartmannwrites.com/test.html/. When I delete a hartmannwrites.com out it will load. Getting frustrated and hoping it was something with net2ftp I downloaded Filezilla, but that just gave me more issues and confusion and even with the DH help page I could not properly log on.

So with that backstory here are my questions:

• Why can I not view the pictures files via their direct address? Since that doesn’t work I am assuming that is why they show up broken in my test page.
  • Why do I need to put an ftp. in front of hartmannwrites.com when trying to use net2ftp? Friday I had no issues with anything like that, and why would it not automatically put it there?
  • Why do I get 404’d when trying to open a page within the net2ftp itself? Is it something on my end that is causing the address to reiterate itself and cause issues? Additionally could this be causing issues with the pictures?

I hope this is organized enough to give clear understanding. Like I said, I’m kind of figuring all this out as I go, so I’m not to sure what is important info and whats not. Thanks for any help!

Jon