Travel Agent OS

apps

Does anyone know of any decent Open Source travel agent, real estate, or flight booking packages?

Will need to be PHP/MySQL.

Cheers,
Karl

web design, development & seo by DigitalVibe

Karl,

“Decent” is in the eyes of the beholder, but I have found Open Realty to be promising.

–rlparker

True, decent is definitely subjective :slight_smile:

Gonna try O.R. now, and will let you know if it’s “decent” enough for me :wink:

Cheers,
Karl

That looks pretty decent, but it doesn’t seem to support bookings for hotels, etc, which is something that I really need.

It seems odd that in this day and age there’s nothing Open Source out there that does the full thing.

Thanks for the suggestion - it’s on my list of possibles, but i’m still on the hunt for a more complete solution.

Cheers,
Karl

I’ve just notices Open Realty does allow you to add/edit/delete fields, which is uber-cool. That will enable me to change the price, tax, and other non-relevant fields and replace them with things like:

• number of rooms
  • pets allowed
  • star rating

I think this may suit my needs now, although it still is missing a booking system… i might create that module myself and incorporate it into Joomla.

Thanks rl!

Cheers,
Karl

You are welcome, and at least maybe it will give you a start. There has been quite a bit of discussion over the years about a Joomla! Open-realty component, but nothing ever came of it.

I think that possibly the Open-Realty developer’s hybrid license may have something to do with that. The newest incarnation of that license leave the program as “Open Source”, but has certain usage restrictions that, IMO, keep it free being truly “free” software (meaning "free as in freedom, not free as in free beer). :wink:

–rlparker

rl, check this link: Joomla CMS Realty fuses Open Realty + Joomla.

I’ve got that working beautifully :slight_smile: .

It basically puts Open Realty inside Joomla, and can use the Joomla Users system to power it. You get full Open Realty administration inside Joomla just by selecting the Open Realty template as “cms integration”.

There are a few Joomla modules to accompany it which deals with property search, features property, and suchlike.

I’m impressed, but it still doesn’t do reservations. I’m still contemplating extending the script to cover this.

Cheers,
Karl

Very cool - thanks for the update! I knew it was being worked on, but it wasn’t “ready for prime time” last I checked. :wink:

Go for adding the reservations feature!

–rlparker